Info on neck specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on neck specifications

I've searched and searched the web but can't find any definitive info on different neck specs and what they mean. I already know about materials and the like. I'm honestly clueless when I hear things like "12 inch compound radius", etc., etc.

Is anyone willing to share their expertise or provide a known link where I can read-up on it?

I'd just like to have a basic knowledge on the subject so I don't feel like a complete idiot when I see folks talking about it. I'm comfortable being somewhat of an idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Re: Info on neck specifications

This is pretty informative.

Anatomy of a neck.

Comment

That Warmoth link is a great starting point.

A compound radius fretboard is a fretboard that has more than one radius along its length.

Well, what does that mean?

Fretboard radius is the curvature of the surface of the fretboard. Imagine the fretboard as the outside of a piece of pie - its not straight, its curved. The measurement, in this case, 12" radius, refers to the size of the cicle (or pie, as it were) from which the section of fretboard (crust side of the piece of pie) is taken. So a 12" radius, is a 2" or so section of the circumference of a 24" diameter circle. (that seemed clear when I wrote it, lemme know otherwise)

So a compound radius fretboard generally starts with one radius at one and and ends at another radius at the other. For instance, the basic Warmoth compound radius fretboard is 10" - 15" or something like that. That means it starts at 10" at the nut and gradually flattens to 15" at the 22 fret. Basically, it goes from more round at the nut to more flat at the higher frets. You can also think of it like an cone (mmmm... icecream).
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

You guys rock! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] That's exactly what I was looking for and y'all AND the website explained it thoroughly.

One other question: With this new-found knowledge I have, I now recall usually seeing only the specs of the lower register advertised as a selling point for the neck on a particular guitar or have I just not paid attention? I mean, say you see a guitar advertised and the specs simply say 12" compound radius neck and make no mention of the specs in the upper register. Again, I may have just not been paying close attention.

Great info, nonetheless. Now I realize how the neck specs come into play when trying to choose a neck/guitar. If you have a favorite neck, know its specs, and are shopping for a new neck/guitar, you have something as a reference when comparison shopping.

Thanx again!
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Usually, when a guitar has a compound radius, they will give both measurements, but not always.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
          X