Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bolt-on mod - which tool would you use to do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt-on mod - which tool would you use to do this?

I posted this is the "neck shave" thread but it didn't get much attention....

What i'm contemplating is shaving off the annoying flat "heel" area from a bolt-on neck, so that instead of looking like this:

it would look more like this:

Of course the challenge is that the back of the neck is radiused, and the area i want to shave off is flat. I also don't want to expose the truss rod from behind the neck.... !! Anyway, this modification would really help to keep correct left-hand position when playing on the upper frets. My thumb always tends to go upwards on the flat area, which is quite annoying.

This combined with my rounded-off joint area on the body (ibanez style) would play just as good as any neck-through. Oh, i have a scrap ke3 neck here that i can use as a "practice shot" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

.... any tips?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: Bolt-on mod - which tool would you use to do this?

I would use a rasp to remove the bulky material quickly, then use sandpaper for the rest. As long as you follow the path of the neck back, you shouldn't expose the truss rod.

Comment

Re: Bolt-on mod - which tool would you use to do t

what's a rasp?

a raspberry? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

I´d use a drawknife or a mexican luthier´s Blade. But people that haven´t had prior experience with either should use a rasp and then sandpaper, and be careful as hell.

A rasp is like a file, but MUUUCH coarser. Think "knobbed for pleasure" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          what's a rasp?

a raspberry? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

nice looking tool lol, looks like a big cheese grater to me :P

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              nice looking tool lol, looks like a big cheese grater to me :P

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">.....and it will treat your skin that way too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

im sure delt doesnt wanna shave his neck, unless he has a lot of neck hair [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It is basicaly a cheesegrater for wood-not to be used on the morning variety however.

Comment

Alright, thanks for the tips!!

How should i re-finish the neck afterwards? When i'm playing, only my thumb ever touches the back surface (i play in a classical position)

Comment

*boink*

on second thought, how much you figure a luthier would charge me to do it?

Comment

Eh, do it yourself. Take your time and check your progress often. You'll be ok.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

thanks for the advice (: what should i use to re-finish the back of the neck afterwards?

Comment

tung oil or linseed oil, the tung oil is a little heavier but you can fine sand it down to a smooth buff, it works great.
                            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

i thought tung oil and linseed oil were for the fretboard.....????

Comment

Working...
                              X