Ways to raise the action on a JT6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to raise the action on a JT6

My action is about 1 mm, and in a way it's very comfortable if it weren't for this constant fret buzz. What are ways to safely raise the action on a JT6? I've heard of the poles but I don't have the allen key, I will be able to find one though so... But if there are other ways I'd like to hear. Cheers!

Re: Ways to raise the action on a JT6

Allen wrenches are essential tools in guitar maintenance when Floyds (and similar tremolos) are concerned. I'd suggest grabbing yourself a set.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Allen wrenches are essential tools in guitar maintenance when Floyds (and similar tremolos) are concerned. I'd suggest grabbing yourself a set.

[/ QUOTE ]just to add....metric allens are what you need.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

you need a 2 and a 2.5 milimeter wrench for the floyd If I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected I don't have my Floyded model guitars at home right now and my wrenches are in one of the cases
        www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

it's a 3mm and a 2.5mm for stanard floyd's .... but i -think- the jt6 uses larger ones for the mounting posts. anyway, you use the 2.5mm to loosen the saddle screws (setup intonation) and the 3mm for pretty much everything else - change strings, setup action (string height), lock/unlock nut, ......

to raise the string height (action) just rotate the mounting posts counter-clockwise.
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I believe the posts actually use a 4 millimeter. 3mm and 2.5mm will work for everything else.

Comment

I've got a very thin one at the moment that can only take the saddles out or unlock the strings. I need a screwdriver for the locking clamp and indeed I think the poles need a 4 mm one. I'll see if anyone has any around here, then I'll raise the posts. Cheers! Let me know of any other way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm not sure of any other way you're looking for other than the right way...

The saddles on the JT-6 are set in their height. Sure you could shim them, but you'd have to find the allen wrenches and completely dismantle the tremolo. Then you have to get everything back together and re-string the guitar to see if you've raised them enough. Then you can shim the neck forward, but that would just be downright silly. Therefore the most logical way of adjusting the action on a JT-6 tremolo is to adjust the tremolo posts.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Alright I'll do it from the poles, thanks! It means I'll also have to slacken the spring screws right?

Comment

Nope, because you're not raising it high enough to affect the springs. Just raise the bridge pivot posts at the front of the trem 3 or 4 complete turns and see what you end up with.

You can also shim the nut instead or in conjunction with raising the bridge.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I need a screwdriver for the locking clamp

[/ QUOTE ]
                      If you don't have a screwdriver around, just use a dime or a penny to lock/unlock the clamp. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Like etaeniura said, the JT-6 posts take a larger wrench (4mm) than standard Floyd or Schaller posts. They also have a much coarser thread spacing, so you may not need as many turns as Newc suggested to get it where you need it. Most hardware stores sell full sets of allen wrenches for pretty cheap. When I got my first Floyded guitar 16 or so years ago, I got a metric set with about 10 wrenches that unfold like a pocket knife for less than $10. I still use it all the time.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          If you don't have a screwdriver around, just use a dime or a penny to lock/unlock the clamp. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's how Grover marketed those locking clamps..that you only need a standard penny to lock/unlock the clamp.
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Nooo when I meant 'need' as need to use lol, I got the screwdriver. But I'm not from around here and I haven't found any shops susceptible of having Allen keys, I'm working on it though. Cheers!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's how Grover marketed those locking clamps..that you only need a standard penny to lock/unlock the clamp.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Could be. You can also use a guitar pick if you don't have any change! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X