Need Kahler standard and flip string lock help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Kahler standard and flip string lock help

Does anyone else have problems with the G, B, and high E string on their standard Kahler locknuts? I've found that unless I tune lower than normal, and pull the strings towards the tuners, so the strings go straight through the lock, then the strings will slip through the lock when I do bends or whammy work. Is this a normal symptom of the string lock being installed on headstocks than fan the strings out at such a wide angle, or are the string locks just old and in need of replacement? I'm tired of playing this game everytime I run out of room on the fine tuners or need to change strings. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Which way is the flip-lever string lock supposed to be installed--flipping down towards the bridge, or up towards the headstock? I've seen it done both ways. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Also, has anyone found they have to really tighten down the adjustment screws on the flip lock to prevent string slipage? Is mine defective, do I have it facing the wrong way, or do they just flat out suck? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Need Kahler standard and flip string lock help

Are the locks grooved from years of use? You definitely need to have the right adjustment on the screws so there is enough pressure to lock the string (but not enough to snap it).

If you need help on it we can meet somewhere and I can take a look. I think I have some spare parts for the flip lock somewhere.

Let me know.
    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

The flip locks I have are NOS that I found at Chuck Levins up in Weaton, MD. I got lucky one day when I walked in with one my Jacksons to try out amps. The salesman saw my guitar, and said, "You use Kahlers? We have three of the old flip string locks in the back shop you can have for $5 a piece."

So, no grooves, but I'm not sure which way they're supposed to face. No one seems to know. I'm sure my standard string locks are grooved from years of use, since I've never replaced any of them. I just wanted to make sure that my experience is not a known problem before I spend money on parts that may or not fix it.

I live in Alexandria, VA, so if you're near, I'd be glad to meet up with you somewhere. Thanks for your help! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

The Flip-Locks opening side should face the tuners bro!!

Comment

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            "You use Kahlers? We have three of the old flip string locks in the back shop you can have for $5 a piece."

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Terfific price on those [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Usually NOS Kahler stuff isn't cheap [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

I had a Model 2 in the mid-80's that I had the Kahler installed on, it worked great if I remember correctly [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

I bought some stuff out of that very same Kahler box, Noodles! I cleaned most everything out that was not for a Flyer or any of the fulcrum/Floyd copy stuff. Got a few heavy bar/spring sets.

Bill's in Catonsville has some Kahler stash, too.

PM me and we'll figure something out.
              www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Working...
              X