Lemon Oil SUCKS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon Oil SUCKS!

But linseed oil rules! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And so does Sully! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

A recent acquisition of mine needed some fretboard cleaning. Despite being only a few months old, there was already a bit of "greying" gunk starting to build on the maple f'board. And the neck felt a bit dry to me already, too.

So, rather than doing my usual lemon oil treatment, I decided to try out Sully's sticky note advice (see thread at the top of this section) on cleaning and oiling a maple fretboard'd guitar with linseed oil. ....Wow! What a difference.

It's not quite as oily feeling as lemon oil. Still nice and slick to the touch, but not as much "greasiness", if you will. More importantly, it clearly penetrates the wood better, and seems to almost harden like a sealer. You can tell just by feel that it will protect the neck better than lemon oil.

It also has a very slight darkening effect on the wood grain. Nothing dramatic - almost like a very mild honey gold or vintage tint. The effect also deepens the emphasis on a figured neck - birdseye in this case. I wish I had the forethought to take "before and after" pictures. The neck is soooo killer now.

I've officially converted. Linseed oil for me! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] The PC1 will get this treatment sometime soon. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Lemon Oil SUCKS!

I followed sullys advice on my GMW and it worked great, the neck feels awesome. The only thing I found that I really hated is the smell. Linseed oil smells horrible, and it lingered for about 2 weeks. Did you find that as well, or was it just the linseed oil I used?
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

It did smell different. I can't quite place it but, weirdly, as soon as I opened the tin it somehow triggered a vague memory from when I was a kid. Maybe working with wood or model glue or something? - it's a little similar to that. Not bad, though. It wasn't overpowering, offensive, or anything. Actually, I thought the smell was a lot less noticeable than lemon oil. Maybe it was the brand you used? I can't remember mine, but I picked it up at Home Depot.

Comment

I got mine at home depot as well, a gallon can (that's all they had) boiled linseed oil, man it smelled awful, but I have to agree with you works like a charm!

Comment

ahhhh, see, now this is what i like to hear! that reminds me that i really need to clear up the clean up thread. it's kinda scattered. i'm glad that you gave it a shot, though! i have a theory that once you use linseed oil, you'll see lemon oil for what it is; not the best tool for the job.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I still use it on my rosewood and ebony boards, but not on the raw maple.
            Sully got any suggestions for those or is lemon oil ok for Ebony and rosewood?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              a gallon can (that's all they had)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was a smallish tin. Maybe a pint, I think.

Comment

<font color="yellow">I thought that you weren't supposed to use the boiled linseed oil for guitars [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

I bought some Linseed Oil at a arts supply store locally and it is 100% pure Linseed Oil.

Comments??

I could swear I read that someplace?? </font>

Comment

Boiled was recommended to me many moons ago.

My understanding is that the only significant difference between boiled and raw, is that raw linseed oil takes forever to dry. Weeks, even, to cure.

"Boiled" linseed isn't actually boiled. It just has some stuff added to help it dry faster. So it's "boiled-like", if you will.

Edit: I suppose some folks might prefer raw linseed oil because of that. i.e., If you leave too much on there, the excess can get "tacky" when it dries. Since boiled dries faster, I suppose a lazy or inattentive user might otherwise end up with a tacky-feeling fretboard. ...Just wipe the excess boiled stuff off after a few minutes and no worries, though.

Comment

boiled linseed is commonly recommended over raw for wood conditioning. I've used it in furniture making but never thought of crossing it to fretboard.

Comment

gah... there's so much conflicting info on this... I still have yet to get a prodcut to use.

I have some baby oil here that's light mineral oil, which, as I understand, is basically the same as lemon oils on the market , without the solvents. I probably will just use that one of these days...

Comment

I've also used tung oil and that worked well too, but I had to sand it down a bit (synthetic sand paper works geat) after it dried or else it feels like a much heavier finish, but if you buff it down it feels great

Comment

You should definitely use boiled linseed oil, not the raw. More than you ever wanted to know about linseed oil here:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inflin.shtm

Comment

"So, rather than doing my usual lemon oil treatment, I decided to try out Sully's sticky note advice (see thread at the top of this section) on cleaning and oiling a maple fretboard'd guitar with linseed oil. ....Wow! What a difference."

Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that you oiled a maple fretboard?
                            "POOP"

Comment

there's no prob in doing that, although it's pointless to do so if it's a finished neck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X