Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful first wiring job, but.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful first wiring job, but.............

Well, I got 'er done! I put a Lil' 59 in the neck (sounds killer, btw) and installed new pots, cap and switch. But now my Duncan Distortion in the bridge sounds muddy as hell. Not much clarity. Sounds worse than the pups in my Epi LP. At first, I thought maybe it was bad solder joints, so I resoldered them. No change. I also adjusted the height but I just couldn't clear it up.

I'm now officially depressed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Is it possible that since I changed pots and what-not that this has happened and now this pup is no good for my DK2? A lil' extreme, I know, but I love the DD and want it's distinctive bite back under my fingers. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Re: Successful first wiring job, but.............

Was the DD in the bridge before you put the lil' 59 in?

Did you make any control configuration changes?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Was the DD in the bridge before you put the lil' 59 in?

Did you make any control configuration changes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, DD was in bridge before. What kind of config changes? You mean push-pull pots, that kinda thing? If so, no, nothing like that. Here's the schematic I used:
      Schematic

Comment

Well, you may be getting some signal loading from somewhere.

I would start with the tone pot.

If its easy, I would suggest unhooking the tone pot really quick, and see if that does it.

Comment

By unhooking, you mean unhooking the wire running from the tone directly to the vol per the schematic?

Comment

yeah, like where it connects to the volume pot, just one quick unsolder.

Comment

The schematic you show uses the 5-way switch to do coil tapping. Did you hook up the white & red wires from the DD like this? Or did you just leave them soldered together and taped? Also, you mention new pots. Are your new pots the same kohm as the old pots?

Comment

If you switched from 500K to 250K you will lose some treble (i.e.-get muddier signal). You can also use different value capacitors on the tone pot-I'm sure there are people here who can lead you in the right direction with that project. First try running it without the tone pot in the circuit and see if that is the culprit.

Comment

nonamemx,
                  Thanx! I'll try that tonight. After my last post I got tired of messing with it and went to bed.

Answers to questions:

- I didn't use the coil tapping option on the schematic. Just soldered the red and white together and covered with heat-shrink sleeving.

- Pots are 500K just like the old ones.

- Cap is .022; I'm pretty sure it's the same as the old one plus I understand that .022 is standard for most applications.

Also, I forgot to mention that I think the DD isn't pushing full output. I switched to my clean channel and there was an extremely noticeable difference (maybe like 1/2) between the output of the DD and Lil 59.

I appreciate all the help guys! Keep your ideas coming.

Comment

oh, then thats most likely NOT a tone knob loading problem.

I would try re-soldering all the leads from that pickup, make sure they arent touching any bare ground spots (IE, back of pot)

Comment

What helps is to have free-floating wires soldered to all your components when you're screwing around with wirng. That way you don't have to unsolder/resolder every time you make a change. Just twist the wires together until you have what you want, then solder them.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Thanx for all the help gentlemen! I got 'er straightened out. I just said "What the hey.." and resoldered the bridge pup one more time and that got 'er done. The joint looked good the first 2 times but evidently wasn't.

Last thing now is to get a new trem and she'll be complete. I'm torn between the FR Pro and the Schaller. I've gotten used to the low profile liscensed Floyd, so I wanna stick with something like that.

Comment

Thats good to hear, Im glad it worked out without you having to consult a "professional".

Feeling proud? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Thats good to hear, Im glad it worked out without you having to consult a "professional".

Feeling proud? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, last thing I wanted to do was take it to my local tech and ask, "WTF did I do wrong?".

And hell yeeees, I'm proud! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Nothin' like doin your own work. Thanx again for the assistance.

Comment

> And hell yeeees, I'm proud! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Nothin' like doin your own work. Thanx again for the ass

.... say what? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                              X