Hum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum?

So when I turn on my amp I get a hum through the speakers, nothing loud or anything, just a small hum. even with the volume and gain off I still get it, It's been there since I got the head, It's old(from 88) just wondering if this is normal or a DC voltage problem, I will more than likely get it checked out any way.

Re: Hum?

If it's there with everything set to 0, it's probably just the shielding in the amp. Also if it's close to any other electrical device, or on the same wall/circuit as a major household appliance.
    Remember, since computers came into play, RF hum/interference really socks it to older audio gear like that, as it wasn't shielded against such units.

Also flourescent lighting can still have an effect on older amps, especially if the internals are degenerating (which they're doing constantly).
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

OK
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

lol racerx, what was that post for? :P

Comment

Either he's astounded at my spelling (no typos), or he's got the same question and just had it answered, or he's saying "bullsh1t" in a sarcastic manner [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

either way it was a pretty funny post, and btw newc dude, im sorry about all the shit that went off on that cob post, no hard feelings eh?

Comment

What COB post? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, don't sweat it - I view each thread topic and forum section as "alternate realities" - what happens in one is unknown in the other. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

sorry, just got fed up of people flaming other people/bands, anywayz we're getting off topic here

Comment

Dimmers cause insane amounts of hum even when they're at maximum.
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Dimmers like for lights?.... If so I installed one a while back and hmmm I never thought of that. Experiment time.

Comment

Working...
                    X