Cool Concert BassJ0286

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Concert BassJ0286

I am hoping the transaction goes smooth. This will be my first Jackson Bass. Thanks to Jani for turning me on to it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Re: Cool Concert BassJ0286

coool. congrats, Jim. That guy'll set well in your collection
    Hail yesterday

Comment

congrats my man...awesome grab for your collection. It will fit right in your preferred serial/time frame. Nice and clean too...
      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Thanks! It will fit in nicely!

Comment

I saw that one. I thought it was reasonable at the $750 BIN let alone at 4-bills. I wanted to pull the trigger on it but after checking out the sellers feedback he seemed to be a bit of a psycho. Of course the majority were good so it's likely that all will go well with him.

It looks fantastic. I would guess it's going to be a great bass.

Comment

That looks sweet! Congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Hey, is that EMG bridge pickup the same as a guitar pickup?!? It looks like it could be an 85 or 81.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

It is an EMG Bass humbucker.

Comment

It's called the EMG-SS. I had one on my old '85 Concert bass, as well. According to the EMG web site, it's nothing more than their standard P-Bass pickup in a humbucker casing. They are custom-order only now, but I think they were more common back when this bass was made. In effect, this bass has two P-Bass humbuckers, which will give a humongous snarl when they are both mixed in!

Jim, when you get the bass, I strongly recommend installing an additional battery hookup for the EMGs, so you can run it at 18v. I did that on mine, and it made all the difference in the sound. You'll gain tons of low-end headroom, which you need with the EMGs. Before I ran mine on 18v, it would distort everytime I struck the E-string, regardless of amp settings--especially when I was tuned down a step or so. Running it at 18v solved that problem, and made the bass much brighter and sharper sounding, to boot.

This bass is almost identical to the one I had, except that mine was alpine white. I only sold it because I needed a five-string bass. So I snagged a '92 Concert V bass off of eBay, which is my current bass.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I will add another battery then. Should I run one battery for each pickup, or run the two in series to both? Weren't the "SS" pickups labeled as such for "Steinberger Sound"? I think they were originally built for those guys.

Comment

You have to run them in series to both pickups, in order to run the guitar at 18v. I believe the EMG site has the appropriate wiring diagram--that's where I got the info, since I'm certainly no electronics whiz kid! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Wiring them up "parallel" means running at 9v, but have twice the battery life, in effect. Not a real big consideration for a system whose battery life tends to be very long, in my experience. Interestingly, you can even do such a 'parallel' wiring setup for a single pickup. Totally pointless, I'd say.

Comment

By the way, you are correct about the SS standing for "Steinberger Sound." EMG now calls this pickup the EMG-HB, and you can still get it through their custom shop, though most bassists looking for an EMG humbucker now use either the 35 or 40 series in the larger casing.

Comment

Yeah, I know the series parallel deal (I took two years of electronic theory in trade school, but that was 13 years ago). Just wasn't sure exactly what was going on there. I will look up the schematics at some point when I get the bass in. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Gongrats again for the bass! Be sure to post pics when you get it. I need to update my japanese Charvel bass someday but no hurry.
                          My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

She arrived in one piece. What a cool instrument. Pics to follow later. She needs a good cleaning.

One item of interest, the humbucking pickup is an EMG model "HBXL". It has the tan potting, so I am confident it is the stock pickup from 1984.

Comment

jim, let me know how the 18v conversion comes out. i have the same pups in j0135 i got from charvel 750. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Working...
                              X