Blocked Floyd Vs Tom bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocked Floyd Vs Tom bridge

Did you guys ever compare? I just tried my friends RR3 with a blocked floy rose, and it felt a lot easier to play. I got Gallop a lot better and control string noise. I'm starting to want to get some model 5/6's instead of these les pauls... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Blocked Floyd Vs Tom bridge

string gauge? scale length? neck angle? neck thickness? alot of things affect playability. Also keep in mind, RR's were designed for that type of thing, whereas the Les Paul hasn't changed a whole lot in the past 50 years.

Comment

This is just my personal opinion, but I feel that as long as you don't count whammy usage, a TOM is easier to play. It's much easier to exactly regulate the amount of palm muting for instance, whereas on a Floyd (especially the JT580POS), how accurate you are is more like playing the dice.

Comment

ya, i guess its just me then lol. I'm never consistant with my playing.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          ya, i guess its just me then lol. I'm never consistant with my playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you are having fun doing what you do with it. Just enjoy the time with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Probably the gauge and the action, scale plays a big part also.

Comment

Duh - I didn't read enough to see that Etaeniura gave you the same answer. I am such a brain dead dope sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never compared them back to back, but I love the feel of my JT580 blocked. I blocked it to dive only. The bar feels about 150% stiffer, but I whammy so seldom that it doesn't matter. I'll probably also block the JT-6 in the Model 2 before much longer.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

To me there are ust 2 guitar bridges in the world, the Floyd and the TOM. If you don't need the Floyd for what it's made for then play a TOM, it's that simple. Much easier to string up, set up, play on, all that crap. Besides I tend to think I sweep pick better on a TOM because it's raised up so high (helps me mute better).
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

how hard do you press down on the bridge when palm muting?!?? i've never had any bridge go out of tune on me just by muting the strings.....
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

It's not that I push down hard. It's the raised angle that the TOM needs lifts the bridge up cosiderably higher than that of a floyd. More leverage if you will.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Then get a non-recessed Floyd... it's also raised due to the neck angle being tilted back like it is on a guitar with a TOM. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Then get a non-recessed Floyd... it's also raised due to the neck angle being tilted back like it is on a guitar with a TOM. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        And how many models with non-recessed Floyds do Jackson offer these days? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just to make myself clear regarding my earlier post in this topic: When I talk about the amount of palm muting, I'm not talking about the amount of pressure applied to the bridge; I'm assuming someone playing a Floyd knows how to palm mute without going out of tune. But consider that you can mute the strings a little, or you can mute the strings a lot, depending on which spot you are applying the palm muting to. That is a lot easier to regulate on a TOM bridge; If you want just a tiny amount of muting, you can do it. That is a lot more difficult with a Floyd - and virtually impossible on the JT580POS, due to the angle of the saddles.

Comment

thats why i play kahler bridges
                          its a whammy that feels like a TOM
                          easy to palm-regulate
                          easy to string
                          + i fancy to hear the mass of brass on a kahler
                          and i like that sound
                          andy

Comment

[ QUOTE ]