Best way to convert kahler nut to floyd nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to convert kahler nut to floyd nut

Before I start I thought I would throw this out here.....[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

What is the best way to convert from a Kahler lock behind the nut to a Floyd Rose nut (not behind) Up against the fretboard?

Just file behind the board until it is the right height and level?
    Should I use a Dremel instead of a file??
    If anyone here has done this, how did you go about it? What problems should I look forward too, if any?

As always, thank you in advance for any help that you may be [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Best way to convert kahler nut to floyd nut

have a good tech do it. Or else just leave it the way it is.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      have a good tech do it. Or else just leave it the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the conern. However, with out trying to do it, I will never learn to do it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am not overly concerned with this guitar either. Hence, I am on my own here. Does anyone have any advide before I bite into her today.

Thanks

Comment

Make sure you have a good supply of thin metal (my tech uses brass) shims so you can set the nut hieght properly.
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

What kind of neck are you doing this on? If its a Charvel model style, angled pointy, you'll need to create a platform for the floyd nut to sit on.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. Yes it is a model series. Model 6 to be exact. I was planning on using a piece of rosewood for the platform. However, closest to the board still needs to be brought down. Then I figured when I got close to the right height I would add the platform and get them level.

Does that sound about right?

What do you think would be the best way to take the wood out a file, or something other?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

What do you think would be the best way to take the wood out a file, or something other?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the most precise would be a nut seating file, like they use to prepare a traditional style nut.

Like these from Stew-mac:
              http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ting_File.html
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Cool, I will def check those out.

Thanks all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X