EMG S vs SA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG S vs SA?

Ok, I got two EMGs here - an S and an SA. Who has used both and which did you prefer in the neck position and why?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: EMG S vs SA?

The ceramic magnet S is supposed to give a brighter tone with slightly more mids and higher output. The alnico SA is supposed to be warmer at the expense of slightly less output. I can't hear the difference. I like the S cause the logo is silver! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

When I posted this question everyone who responded said they preferred the SA.

Comment

i do prefer the SA, just like i prefer the 85...but on the whole i prefer passive pickups.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

me too, especially since you can make any pickup "active" with a gain booster [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I like the S cause the logo is silver! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

All things are possible with Krylon [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i do prefer the SA, just like i prefer the 85...but on the whole i prefer passive pickups.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

newc: reading your sig, i'm wondering.... who is the mother of pearl? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

my left nut!! my right is the father of pearl!!
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Well said [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I also prefer passives, but my 2x4 just don't get that Death-To-All tone unless I got EMGs init [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Actually, since I've already got one guitar with passive H-S-S, I may as well cover all the bases with active H-S-S.
                    Plus, with the EMG's sealed covers, I don't have to worry about getting Krylon on the coils [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the 81 sa combo. The sa gets you more of that single coil straty tone.

Comment

So then I guess the S is going in the neck and the SA in the middle - thanks fellers [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X