JT6/OFR Swap: Odd Spring Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6/OFR Swap: Odd Spring Problem

I'm currently trying to switch out the stock JT6 trem on my Charvel with an OFR and I'm running into problems left and right. Many I can deal with, such as the "only being able to dive bomb 99.9% of the way down" and the recessed route needing to be modified for maximum pull up ability. But the problem I'm having is with the springs. It's not your "standard" getting the bridge level with the top of the body thing. What's happening is the springs keep popping out of the trem block. I've tried bending them more "hook" like then their normal 90 degree angled bend but they're still slipping out. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks
    Sheldon

Re: JT6/OFR Swap: Odd Spring Problem

Try bending the springs LESS? Maybe they're too hooked and are pushing themselves out? Doesn't the JT6 block's spring holes kinda slant inward to accommodate the hooked end? I haven't seen one in person, so I don't know.
    You could also get OFR springs, or see if the blocks are interchangeable.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The trem block is installed on the baseplate backwards.
      Take the bridge apart and turn the block around.

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#316410

Comment

yep, that'll do it....

Comment

Has anyone had the problem of them popping off the claw? If so, can this be remedied the same way or is it a case of the wrong springs?

Comment

I had a problem when I recently replaced the saddles on my single locking trem, and since the whole trem came with new springs, I decided to use them. I simply swapped out the old ones for the new. The problem was that the new springs were so strong, I had to adjust the claw out pretty far to accomodate them. Then when I pulled up on the trem, the springs popped out. WHat I ended up doing was to remove the middle spring and tighten the claw back up so the trem works with only two springs. worked great! Chances are that you have the block backwards though.

Comment

Yeah, I have 3 guitars (DKMG, and 2 LTD's) that had that problem when I got them (online). I've tried doing what your talking about but, after some heavy usage it would either be sharp/flat depending on which way I pulled/pushed it. It didn't seem as if it had ENOUGH tension.
              I have never thought to check the block though...I guess that I expected for it to be assembled right, from the factory but, these days I guess you can't count on it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The trem block is installed on the baseplate backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what it ended up being..man I feel like a goof now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Thanks though!

Sheldon

Comment

how the hell did it end up backwards??
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

crack smokers building tremelos...what is this world coming to....?

Comment

Working...
                    X