No announcement yet.

Les Paul pickup switching versatility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul pickup switching versatility?

I'm wondering what I can do with the traditional Les Paul control setup to make it more versatile. What I basically like are both humbucking AND single coil tones in one guitar, and the Les Paul only has the three-way pickup switch, so I can't split the pickups using the switch. However, since it has four controls, I might be able to take advantage of this.

I know of the Jimmy Page LP setup to get something like 21 different sounds using push-pull pots, but I don't know if I need THAT many sounds since I don't know what they all sound like!

One option would be to use dual EMG-89s, two push-pull volume pots to split the EMG-89s, and two tone pots.

Another option would be to use dual EMG-89s, two push-pull volume pots to split the EMG-89s, one EMG-SPC circuit replacing a tone, and one EMG-EXG circuit replacing the other tone. I would lose the tone controls... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Also, I don't know if I could do this, since I want the accessory circuits to be "master" but the volume knobs to be on a "per-pickup" basis.

Another option would be to use dual EMG-89s, one master push-pull volume pot to split the EMG-89s at the same time, one master tone pot replacing the other volume, one EMG-SPC circuit replacing a tone, and one EMG-EXG circuit replacing the other tone. But then I wouldn't be able to blend the two pickups when the 3-way switch is in the middle. I don't really know how useful this blending is since I've never had an LP style guitar with dual hums and individual volumes/tones before.

Alternatives? Suck it up and do the Jimmy Page thing? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Question: Do both pickups have to be four-conductor for these alternative wiring possibilities? The stock pickups are Duncan JB/59n and the guitar is from 1999.

Re: Les Paul pickup switching versatility?

Page's LP can do that with single-conductor pickups. BUT he's got like all kinds of jump wires running from his switches and pots.

The SPC/EXG combo will be Master as long as they are both between the switch and the output jack - signal goes from the pickups to the volumes to the 3-way to the circuits to the output.

You can make one of the push/pulls a Selectable Tone knob by wiring the Tone cap to the push/pull switch. Not exactly sure how to do that though - maybe the cap and lug to one set of prongs and just the lug to the other set of prongs? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Pull up and it's a Tone, push down it's a volume?

There's tons of wiring possibilities, really. Get a bag of jumper clips, a board with holes in it to hold your pots and switches outside the guitar, and start connecting things. Write down the good stuff, then hardwire it all together in the guitar.
    Don't be afraid to try something that you have never seen before, and don't be afraid of combining different wiring schemes.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Why don't you get it wired up like some of the PRS's have with the 5-way rotary selector? You'll lose one tone knob but who cares.

Comment

I thought about replacing the toggle on a Les Paul with one of those, or a blend knob.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

has anyone ever seen a blend/dual pot that's also a push-pull? can't find any of those......
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a dual concentric knob that's also a push-pull... those sound pretty complex. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nice catch with the PRS thing! I've heard some PRSs have a SEVEN-way rotary switch... that sounds ideal! I'll look into that... wouldn't mind sacrificing one tone knob to do that at all!

Time to buy a bag of alligator clips from Radio Shack or Home Hardware. Cool. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've done the following mods to my 1996 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus:

50's style wiring
              520K pots, with SPST push/pull tone pots
              4 conductor 496R/500T, with the coil taps connected to the push/pull pots.

Basically, I can play this Les Paul in single coil mode or as humbuckers using the push pull pots. If I could have found the correct DPDT switched pots, I would have made the pickups series/parallel - series being a normal humbucker, parallel being a humbucker with a lot less output, but much cleaner.

The 496R/500T are so hot, even in single coil mode they are stronger than most humbuckers.

Comment

Working...
              X