Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd string (g) on KE-3 Floyd Rose pops out

Hello,

I'm having a lot of problems with the third string on my Jackson KE-3 with (I think) the JT580 (Liscenced Floyd Rose). I'm doing a lot of Dimebag style whammy bar harmonics and while I'm doing them, this string always pops out. Could the metal block be going bad? thanks

Re: 3rd string (g) on KE-3 Floyd Rose pops out

Yup. Turn it 90 degrees and lock it down again.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have no idea how to turn the block or take it out... I tried tweezers but I think that's just scratching it more... how do I do it?

Comment

unscrew the clamp screw that holds it in place. i don't know if putting it sideways is a good idea, since there's a hole on the back surface, into which the clamp screw is supposed to fit.

i'd try sanding out the front surface first, use something like 1000 grit.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Yup. Turn it 90 degrees and lock it down again.

[/ QUOTE ]
          He's not talking about the lock nut clamp, Newc. He's talking about the little block that sits in the saddle.

Undo the locking clamp screw for the string and then turn the guitar upside down for it to pop out. Put it back in and make sure the little dimple faces the locking screw. You can always buy these pieces separate from Stewmac.com if you need an extra one.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Also, make sure there isn't the stub of an old broken string end in there. I'd bet there is.

Comment

True Chuck.
              And yes I know he was talking about the saddle block - you can turn them sideways and not use the dimple.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Well, it looks like I won't have to. I think my problem was that I didn't have the string far enough in. I let out a bunch of slack and pushed it all the way to the bottom. It hasn't popped out yet. It's good to know I can buy those blocks though when I need to.

Comment

and especially if you go to a smaller string size. then the rout made by the bigger string won't hold the new smaller one in any longer so you have to either file it or get a new on. i don't recemmend turning it. the nut needs its whole. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

<font color="aqua">DCZX, just a little trick for you, when bending the string to fit into the hole, bend it like a "Z". Keep in mind when looking at the diagram, we're looking at it from the side view, not the top. In other words, the lower portion of the string should be "under" the locking block

and don't make fun of it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

</font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Good idea, Dave. I've noticed on some trems I've had that the block actually sits above the bottom of the saddle when the screw is aligned with the dimple, and wondered why - gotta be to accommodate the end of the string under the block! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, but then the dimples would need to be different height on each block, to compensate for each string thickness.. and it would be easy to get them all mixed up .....
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

<font color="aqua">I only do it for the lighter strings as you getter a better "bite" on the heavy strings. </font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

true [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Dave! That diagram makes a lot of sense. With the string under the block there's even less likelyhood of it popping out. I will definitely try it that way next time!

Comment

Working...
                              X