JT6 problem: slightly tilted, won't stay in tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6 problem: slightly tilted, won't stay in tune

Hey everyone, I have a model 4 with a JT6 and I noticed that the right (when looking in the direction of the headstock) side of the bridge is slightly higher than the left side. The Trem arm is not there ( I took it off, I thought it was the cause of the detunining and I didn't use it much anyway).
    Also, it doesn't stay well in tune. I have to tune it every day when I pick it up. It's not annoying but since it's a Floyd and I don't use the whammy, it should be tuned! The locking nuts work just fine.

Should I adjust the springs at the back, and is the tilting cause for the detuning? Cheers everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, one of the two holes holding the jack metal plate on the side of the body is loose... Does anyone know any methods to make it stay there once and for all?
    I love this model 4 to Death even though I just got it. It's my soulmate [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: JT6 problem: slightly tilted, won\'t stay in tu

First off, the wrong side is higher! The wound strings are bigger, so that is the side that should be slightly higher than the other. The other obvious question is this: if you never use the bar, why not just black the bridge off and never worry about it moving again?

Comment

I do plan on using it later, once the guitar is perfectly set up. The strings are old and I don't want to break them.
      Also, I'm sure it's the wrong side indeed that is higher. I was surprised too... I was thinking it may be the spring metal plate holder that's not properly adjusted.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        First off, the wrong side is higher! The wound strings are bigger, so that is the side that should be slightly higher than the other. The other obvious question is this: if you never use the bar, why not just black the bridge off and never worry about it moving again?

[/ QUOTE ]Ward,aren't you being a little hard on the Beaver? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Ahahahahaha!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I had to it was to easy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I didn't get it... *is ashamed*

Well please help? *begs*
              Magh8, I see you have a model 6 and a model 5. I am jealous [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You don't get it? Now I feel old... [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

First start with a complete action and intonation setup. It is obviously tilted the wrong way, so fix that. If you don't know how, I'm sure there are some resources on this site to help you set that bridge up. Also, check the baseplate and posts for wear. When those wear, the bridge never returns back to the same place. Extreme where can knock everything out of tune by doing simple string bends, since the bridge will hang on a bur.

Comment

yes,I love them.(model 5A no model 5 necktru,1 hum,1 volume and no tone)keep looking and you may find one the model 6 guitars are easy to come by in the states.But it took me 2 years to get a hold of a model 5A.I just got the 5A less than a month ago.and that quote is from a 50's TV show called Leave it to Beaver

Comment

I live in Europe. I'd need at least 400 pounds for a good model 6. My model 4 cost me 250 with the hard case [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    About the intonation, The action seems to be perfect and I love it this way. It's just that the bridge is not totally parralel to the body from behind... I've looked for threads until page 20 or so but I haven't found the same problem...
                    And I just checked, there is no wear [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] And since I don't use the whammy, it doesn't move ( I don't do much bends either). I just put the whammy in and tried some divebombs/pulling, the bridge is still tilted. I'm pretty sure now it's the springs at the back... Would you say it's also the cause of the detuning ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The strings are old and I don't want to break them.

[/ QUOTE ]That could be a problem, too. Put new strings on it, tune up to pitch, stretch the hell out of them by bending and pulling them off the board a little bit. Keep doing that process until they don't go out of tune anymore, then lock the nut down. Also, which way is the bridge tilted? If it's tilting back down towards the body, you'll need to loosen the two screws in the back on the spring claw, then retune until it's level. If the trem is tilted high in the air and toward the neck, then you've got to tighten the spring claw screws, repeat the tuning process, then lock the nut down. Hope this helps.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well if it is tilted back wedge the trem with something to keep it parralel with the body then tune it to whatever you want If your tuning it low say B or C you may want to get a set of strings ".56-.13".then back the screws Holding the Claw out like a quarter of a turn and tune it again(if the trem is tilted upward turn the screws the opposite way).and keep repeating this until the guitar is in tune and whatevery you wedged under it falls out or you can slide it out with almost no pressure try that>there should be a tread in the tech section on adjusting a floyd rose or try a google search.Hope this helps

Comment

I'm trying to picture what you are describing. It sounds like you are saying that the bridge is not level when looking at it from the rear, and that it is higher on the treble side. If this is the case, then the way to adjust it would be to either lower the treble-side post or raise the bass-side post. JT-6 posts take a 4mm allen wrench. Turn clockwise to lower, counterclockwise to raise. I don't think this would be the cause of tuning instability, though, because I have the bass side set a little higher on most of my Floyded guitars with no tuning issues.

If the trem is not sitting level when looking at it from the side, then you can level it by tightening or loosening the springs. The key to doing this is to only do a little at a time and retune as you go, because it's a balancing act between the springs and the strings. If it's only slightly tilted, I doubt this is the cause of the tuning problems. Some people actually prefer to have the trem tilting forward slightly and set it up that way. Now, if it starts out level, but stays rocked forward slightly after a divebomb, then there is a major problem and a spring adjustment won't fix it.

On an older trem, especially one made of less than top-notch metal like a JT-6, what can happen is that the knife-edges (the sharp part that contacts the posts) can get dull or get flat spots that will keep the trem from returning to pitch. The posts themselves can also get damaged or worn and cause the same problem. You can examine the posts and the knife edges to see how they look. If they're badly worn it will be pretty obvious.

Another possible reason for going out of tune might be at the headstock end. Sometimes with behind-the-nut lock systems, even though string locks are tightened down, the plates may have grooves worn in them that allow the strings to slip. If this is the case, you may be able to flip the plates over to correct the problem or just replace them.

Comment

I'll try the plates thing, and yeah I meant looking at it from the rear, not sides [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also, I want to keep it to standard tuning. I don't want to take the Floyd out though... It's my first guitar and I really don't want any problems with it. I already took it off the first day and I was able to put it back on without any problems but it was scary enough [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Also I have only a very thin allen key that can only be used to make the string blockers thingies go higher or lower (neck to body wise) so I can't lower the posts [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'll have to find an Allen key. Cheers for the help!

Comment

Change the strings first.....toejam was right on the money. Old strings won't stay in tune and all of the adjustments in the world are pointless until the strings are stable. I have had Floyds seem to go out of tune if you looked at them wrong, let alone actually touch the guitar. This was always with very old strings. New strings always fixed them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X