Guitar Paint.....Gurus, come inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Paint.....Gurus, come inside.

Hey guys. I have a question. I'm planning on buying one of the Gibson faded flying v's. Now here's my dilemma...I don't like the color, and I wish to paint it. Can I take it to a place where cars get painted? would this damage the wood, etc?

Re: Guitar Paint.....Gurus, come inside.

I do autobody for a living, not wood work or guitar building, but I had a black ps-4 that I stripped and tried some different pearls and flames on. I stripped back to wood and just cleared the wood. It hasn't seem to hurt it one bit, actually it's back as my main player again.

Comment

as long as you seal the body up with some kind of heavy sanding sealer and block it out good.. you're fine, otherwise in a short time you will see the glue joints and every single line in the graining of the wood...

Comment

There is a book out there call how to paint you guitar like a factory finish with spray cans. You might want to google search on it. I've painted before, and I'll paint again. You won't hurt the guitar, but you'll hurt it's resale value.

Comment

DonP.. that How To Create A Factory Guitar Finish book, is it worth the money?

Comment

He had a special on his website where you could get everything for $20.

I think it's good. I painted a tigerstripe (Lynch) back in the early 90's, but did some things wrong, making the paint chip somewhat easy (I sanded the existing paint underneath too smooth - the new paint on top couldn't get a good grip).

If I had the book back them, my paint job would have turned out better and probably would have lasted longer.

Painting is pretty basic stuff, but the book gives those little tips that make a difference. The ideas it gives are pretty good.

He responds to your emails too. I don't know of too many authors your can have a conversation with.

Comment

One thing you guys need to remember is that (as far as durability is concerned) there's no substitute for a catalyzed finish. You can't get that from an aerosol can. Period.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Check out www.reranch.com. It's all related to mostly Nitro lacquer, but other informative techniques on refinishing apply the same. Bill owns the business and runs the forum. Great guy and fast shipping. I've done a few guitars with his paints in aerosols. I prefer to use the automotive urethanes as Fender, but you can do a great job with Nitro. Just takes longer to cure. But, with that you get that "vintage mojo" for free.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                X