Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make a rosewood feel like ebony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to make a rosewood feel like ebony?

I dont really favor the feel of the softer rosewood is there anyway to make it feel like the harder/slicker ebony?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Re: Is it possible to make a rosewood feel like ebony?

Replacement or petrification. One takes a lot of money, the other takes a lot of time.

I'm curious as to how hard you guys are pressing down, or what size frets you are using that you can feel the wood that much? My Explorer's frets are way low - like Fretless Wonder frets - and I can feel the wood, however that's the only guitar I've ever had like that.
    Maybe you need taller frets?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: Is it possible to make a rosewood feel like eb

i couldn't tell the difference by playing it either. My strings never come close to the fretboard wood, and my fingers barely touch it, if at all.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I can feel the board depending on what type of guitar I'm playing.I had a Jackson dk2r along time ago and the fretboard on that thing sucked every time I would do a bend I could feel the string want to resist(I think this is what you are talking about).It was a very rough feeling board.the board itself looked clean and in good shape but it was a very grainy piece of rosewood.pretty much any Jackson I've played under $600.00 tends to have a corse fretboard.But my model 6,US bcrich,and fenderstrat plus are smooth as hell and don't present such issues(all rosewood).In my view you get what you pay for.Every lower to medium grade Jackson are more than likely not going to feel like a Jackson USA model neck rosewood or ebony(unless you get a freak and if they did feel as good they wouldn't sell any big dollar guitars) or for that matter this usualy applies to all guitar manufacturers.I hope this is helpful.Later [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
        www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

True. I had a JX10D or some such (SLS body, bolt-on with 3x3 harpoon head, 3 killer singles like a Strat, v-trem) for a very short time and I could feel the board. Can't feel it on my others - even an old Vantage V feels better.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't think it's possible to do this....not without alot of effort anyway. And high frets aren't the solution really....some people (like myself) don't like really high frets as they slow down more than they speed up IMO.

Comment

i would just replace it with an aftermarket neck or an old rosewood charvy neck the 80's necks are a better quality than the newer lower line Jackson necks anyway(atleast I feel this way) . this would be the easiest fix

Comment

<font color="aqua">If the grain is what's bothering you, couldn't you use a grain filler and then scrape the board with a razor blade when it dries? Just make sure the fretboard is very clean before applying it. </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I've only ever noticed this on guitars with shorter frets. I love the jumbo frets Jackson uses, because I can just float on top of the frets, almost like a scalloped board. If it is a bolt-on guitar, I'd just buy a new neck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    <font color="aqua">If the grain is what's bothering you, couldn't you use a grain filler and then scrape the board with a razor blade when it dries? Just make sure the fretboard is very clean before applying it. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]true dat

Comment

please don't take this the wrong way, but this board is full of people whose playing seems to be sensitive to the most minute things. i have to wonder how much actual real playing is going on vs. nitpicking and adjusting and measuring and modding. if your playing is dependant on how tight grained a fretboard is, i'd hate to see what else in life you're that anal about.

it's a fuckin' guitar; sling it low, turn it up loud, pull down your pants and just fuckin' wail, okay? yikes.
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]..yaaaaa, hey it works for Satch, Morse and the like.
                        Personally, appearance appeal always comes secondary to playability, functionality (tuning stability etc..) and tones. (for me at least) Even the name doesn't matter.. it could be a Squire..in fact, I make it a point to make my playing sound good on the cheapest junk that I find useable sometimes.
                        If it looks great.. then that is a added bonus.

and Sully, this snakeskin Rich has some serious mojo.

Comment

yeah, i told you it was a cool guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          ....and the grain on that rosewood's pretty wide open, isn't it?? how ever will you be able to play it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] sully i agree 100% !!
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              yeah, i told you it was a cool guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              ....and the grain on that rosewood's pretty wide open, isn't it?? how ever will you be able to play it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, there's some streaks that are thousands of an inch gaping wounds but I think I can accomodate and become immune. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X