Walnut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnut

A couple oy yeras ago, I had the opportunity to play a Schecter Tele with a walnut body. It was a club environment, so I wasn't able to get a feel for tones. My question is; Is walnut a "tonal" wood and is it a good wood for bodies as well as necks? I do remember that Schecter being heavy, but it also had a lot of hardware including the ashtray bridge. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
    "POOP"

Re: Walnut

Walnut is supposed to be nearly as hard and dense as maple, but not as tonally bright as maple. Plus, I think it looks frickin' beautiful.

More of a bass guitar body/neck wood, I always imagined.

Comment

It is suppose to have nice highs with a "growling low end" as described by Carvin. I have heard it not only looks beautiful, but sounds beautiful also

Comment

Thanks guys!
        "POOP"

Comment

Ahhh wait, here's Warmoth's description just for fun. Scroll down until you see walnut:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/option..._bodywoods.cfm

Mmmmm... flame walnut... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">As you might remember I made a body out of solid Black Walnut for my piezo element guitar.It sounds beautiful and each note is very clear and articulate. The best way to describe it is that it sounds "alive". Now I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that it's a piezo but it sure isn't muddy or dull. If I wasn't redoing the piezo pickup, I'd get clips for you. Possibly when it's done. </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

i don't think a piezo pickup will sound muddy in any kind of guitar body.
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Thanks again for the responses. I always forget about that section at Warmoth. It's bookmarked now!
                "POOP"

Comment

Taylor must think it's pretty good. They make some awesome acoustics out of walnut.

Jason

Comment

Yup, the W Series Taylors are their walnut guitars, the sister line to the K Series which are made of koa. I've got a Taylor K14c with koa back/sides and western red cedar top, which according to the experts over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum (formerly Taylor Guitar Forum), sounds nearly identical to its walnut equivalent, the W14c, with walnut back/sides and same western red cedar top. Those rich enough to own both can attest to that. Both are fingerstyle powerhouses (though I personally am not... yet. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) If you were choosing just one, go with the one that looks cosmetically better to you since the K14c and W14c have such minimal differences in tone.

Comment

Did you see the new Wood &amp; Steel magazine? They are bringing the Koa and Walnut series back. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] They show pics with Koa and Walnut tops!!! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Jason

Comment

Wood &amp; Steel = Taylor's magazine? I used to receive it in my e-mail every three or four months, but I haven't been receiving them lately... what the heck is up with that? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I've seen a Taylor K20ce with koa top, but never seen a W series with actual walnut top yet. Damn, it must be a strikingly beautiful guitar. But I have no idea what exotic woods like koa and walnut sound like as top woods since I'm more familiar with the traditional topwoods (cedar, engelmann spruce, sitka spruce).

Comment

It is really nice to look at, and I thought Ibanez had a RG320 that was made of wallnut. looked nice, played it once, but not enough to get an idea.

harrald

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Wood &amp; Steel = Taylor's magazine? I used to receive it in my e-mail every three or four months, but I haven't been receiving them lately... what the heck is up with that? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I've seen a Taylor K20ce with koa top, but never seen a W series with actual walnut top yet. Damn, it must be a strikingly beautiful guitar. But I have no idea what exotic woods like koa and walnut sound like as top woods since I'm more familiar with the traditional topwoods (cedar, engelmann spruce, sitka spruce).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's Taylor's mag. You can usually pick one up at your local Taylor dealer. They give them out free. You should also be able to find it on their website.

I've played one walnut topped guitar and a few koa topped guitars and they all sounded good and they had their own sound too when compared to traditional woods.

Jason

Found a link. http://www.taylorguitars.com/news/co...inter_2005.pdf

Comment

Working...
                            X