j-50-bc humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j-50-bc humbucker

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask...but anyway: is there a humbucker that sounds more or less the same as the j50bc humbucker? Is see some artists with custom jacksons with these pickups and am curious how they compare t other pickups (due to processing it's kind of hard to hear on the record [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Re: j-50-bc humbucker

best place would have been the TECH forum, but anyway... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think it's often compared to a PAF PU, like you got em in LPs. I'd discribe them as well balanced, and medium output. I like'em pretty much.
    the b stands for bridge and the c for ceramic, so there are quite a few different versions of the J50 out there.

PS; if you got laiho or latvala in mind when you say artists with customs and J50BC, you gotta think of they're using a gainboost together with it, which should change the sound of the original PU quite a lot.
    the j50BC was often combined with active electronics, and you find'em a lot in older charvels I think...
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Hehehe thanks! Can I still move the thread?

Anyway yes I meant laiho and latvala :P In which way does the gain booster effect the sound? I know latvala also uses invaders sometimes, but I guess they would be too bassy and undefined on leads. To you think the duncan distortion compares?

Comment

AFAIK, all of Jackson's active eletronics are mid-boost. A lot of people here think the J-50-BC sounds best with the active mid-boost.

If you go to the COB forum, search for posts by bobvexx. He's a memeber here as well and seems to know everything there is to know about Laiho's Jackson setup as I've seen his posts on the subject over there. I'm pretty sure that Laiho used the JE-1000 mid-boost, so add that to your search criteria over there.

Good luck and welcome.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

somehow knew that... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          my charvel model 5FX came with an invader the previous owner loaded in there, but I later switched to a J50BC plus JE1000, and it really was a change.
          the output was really hot and it kicked the distortion quite to another level. nothing surprising for a gain boost actually... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          but never played a distortion.

I just know that the jackson electronics kick my EMGs butt.
          I've got'em hangin around here side by side, and I do like the JE better.

sounds more alive somehow.

but they are hard to get lately...
          there is a boss pedal, that is supposed to sound similar to the JE, but I'm afraid I forgot the name.
          someone around here knows that for sure.

what kind of amp do you use btw?
          if you like the laiho-latvala sound you might keep in mind that their preamps are pretty soft ones.
          most of the gain comes from the guitar itself actually.
          so if you got a high gain amp, you might get more gain than you like.
          ///

Comment

Easton Guitars sells Jackson electronics, but for a pretty penny. They occasionally pop up on eBay.

Also, fwiw, a few people here recommend (prefer) this as a substitute for the JE-1000.

http://www.emgpickups.com/displaypro...;catalogid=135

which is easier to get both retail and ebay.

Comment

I'm sorry, but there is the JE1200 called mid-boost and the JE1000 called gain boost.
              pretty sure at that.
              the JE1000 has a little box on it where you can choose the frequencies to boost special, that's right, so you might also use it as a mid-boost, but it's mainly a gain boost.
              try to play one clean, and you know what I mean... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

they also had a JE1500 which was something like a bass-boost I think...

Comment

I have the Jackson Electronics user manual in front of me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The JE-1000 is primarily a mid boost unit with dip switches to let you change the frequency (up to 8) where the boost occurs. There are also JE-1000-T/JE-1000-G/JE-1000-TG models as well, where the T stands for the addition of a tone control pot and the G stands for a gain boost switch. The gain boost switch is just an on/off switch for boost at the desired frequency. It's wired directly to the internal gain trim pot.

The JE-1500 is described as "para-mid e.q. low impedance electronics for guitar". Instead of dip switches (like the JE-1000), it has a pot that allows you to change the resonant frequency from 450 Hz to 4500 Hz. And a switch to to turn the boost on/off.

Seems like the JE-1500 is a superset of functionality + flexibility over the JE-1000.

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I always thought alexi liked his rig simple. Seventh son: which COB forum? The one at ultimate metal?

Micha: I now play a v-amp2 through a pos amp, I will get a vox ad30vt or a cube 30 next week. I think there is more than enough distortion on the amps themselves, so I don't really need the boost.

Hmm all those boosters and fancy things are a bit too much for me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I will just buy a high output pickup with good clarity. Does anyone have experience with the dimarzio x2n or the duncan distortion?

Comment

The member is bobvex not bobvexx, and here is one link that turned up:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/a...x.php/t-138327

The bare bones JE-1000 is dead simple to install, no mod necessary to the guitar at all. Although you have to dial in the frequency and boost ahead of time and that's that until you take off the cavity plate again. Pretty a-ok thing to do if you're just playing that style of music on that particular guitar.

Comment

Does a J-50BC + JE-1000 kick an Emg 81 ass?

Comment

yes they do!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I know it's not fair two against one, but next time they do it I'll try to snap a picture for you.
                        really does look kinda funny...

seriously; for me the 81 sounds pretty good, but the jackson combi sounds somehow better. it combines the punch of an active unit, without the EMGish beeing too clear and somehow liveless compared to passives.
                        it's hard to describe, but it feels rounder and warmer for me. and it does have more oputput.
                        jah likes it!

@wannabe;
                        sounds like a cool setup. I like the Vamp2 pretty much myself, nice unit...
                        you might check www.harmony-central.com or the tech forum for details on your PUs. both are very common and you might find lotsa good words about both of them.
                        good luck on your further search///

Comment

sully will tell you to just get a duncan custom instead of the j-50bc and je-1000.

but APC's blow them all away.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Micha: thanks, the vamp2 is very cool for the money. I can't crank an amp here so it's perfect for me. Also for jamming with friends, I just have to bring my vamp not an amp [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Dreamland rebel: after searching I already kind of settled on the custom, I'll get the extra distortion from my amp [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

seventhson, i have a je-1200 lying around at home, how does that relate to the je-1000? and i always thought the je-1000 was a straight gain boost, of all frequencies

Comment

Working...
                              X