Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairline Fret Board Crack

Hi all,

Sorry for such an ignorant question.... Is a hairline crack in a fretboard a big deal? I got a new Jackson tonight and the Ebony board is cracked. Should I make them get a new one or is there something I can do to stop it from going any further? Right now it spans from the 9th to the 13th fret, right down the center. Don't know if it matters in terms of fixing it, but the board is bound.

The problem is they may not be able to replace it because of it being a limited run.

What should I do here.

Thanks for your input.

Re: Hairline Fret Board Crack

If you got it new from an authorized Jackson dealer then I suggest you should have them send it back to get it fixed. I went through this once when they were still owned by AMIC and it took forever to get my guitar back but was well worth it. Luckily for you since Jackson is now owned by Fender I heard that the turn around time is much faster now. Good luck and hope this bit helps. I know it's a bummer but at least it's something that can be fixed. Cheers!
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

You can fix it yourself by scraping a tiny bit of ebony off the board with a razor blade and using the ebony dust mixed with crazy glue to fill in the crack.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        You can fix it yourself by scraping a tiny bit of ebony off the board with a razor blade and using the ebony dust mixed with crazy glue to fill in the crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that´s what the pros do [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">Ron,

I can send you some ebony dust if you'd rather not scrape the board, just shoot me an email and I'll send it out with the rest of the parts if you decide to do it yourself bro. </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. This is a really thin crack. It however has worked it's way down to the 21st fret this morning.

I thought Krazy glue dried real fast.....How would I get it in the crack in time?

How does it effect the surface? (will you be able to see the repair)

What would I work it into the crack with? (keep in mind the frets are in place)

I am surprised you recommended krazy glue and not wood glue. May I ask why?

Sorry for so many questions... I am just starting to stress on this now. That and I am a bit concerned....being a luithery neophyte, this may be a bit above my skills. Thanks again for all your help and Dave I may take you up on that ebony dust. Scraping the fretboard doesn't sound fun with frets on the board yet. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd recommend taking it to a luthier to fill the crack, or at least get their opinion on whether it should be sent back to Jackson to be fixed/replaced, especially if the crack continues to grow and it's under warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work on my guitar with Crazy glue, as that's a 911 call in the making!, which I would have to make by dialing with my nose since both hands would end up superglued to the fretboard! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'd recommend taking it to a luthier to fill the crack, or at least get their opinion on whether it should be sent back to Jackson to be fixed/replaced, especially if the crack continues to grow and it's under warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">In this case I would have to agree Ron. If it's growing that rapidly you might have your hands full there. Unfortunatley, wood is an organic material and crap like this happens sometimes. I would have fixed it myself if it was just cracked across a few frets but that sounds like it's becoming ridiculous now. Good luck bro. </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

K - Got the word! They are going to replace it. They have one left in this finish in Arizona, I think he said..... I just hope it arrives ok.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

cool. good luck

Comment

Yeah, good luck. Let us know how it turns out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Will do guys. Thanks.

Comment

What ltd run guitar was it?

Comment

i know i'm late, here, but it's a very easy fix, and all you need is some very thin super glue and a razorblade. that's what will more than likely become of the guitar, but i'm glad you got it taken care of.

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully... Better late than never [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So it's really that simple.... hmmm,that may help for next time.

Thanks again for all the input folks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X