Broke a string while loosening the string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke a string while loosening the string

I was tuning from Eb to D on my high E string and it broke at the headstock. It's been known to get caught in the nut (non locking nut/non trem Kahler) occasionally, but I never would have thought that I'd break a string tuning it DOWN. Also the strings go flat after a few days, even after stretching them...any idea what might be wrong?

Re: Broke a string while loosening the string

Sometimes high E strings just seem to randomly break while tuning. Mine break directly at the tuning gear more often than any other location. Remember that when you originally put it on the peg, you put a kink in it at 90 degrees or so. That seriously weakened the string at that point. When you loosened it, it still had stress at the same point, just from a different angle. Sometime the string won't handle the stress.

As far as the strings going flat...do you mean literally flat (i.e. out of tune) or dead as in loss of tonal qualities? If you only have to retune every few days...No problem. If they go "dead" in a few days, that depends on string quality and how you take care of them. Really cheap strings can have several dead strings when new, and the remainder can go bad in a couple of days. Be sure to wipe your strings off when you are done playing, sweat, salt and gunk lead to corrosion which quickly ruin the string. Hope this helps! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
    X