No announcement yet.

Best way to enlarge pot mounting hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to enlarge pot mounting hole?

Received my new pots/switch today for my DK2 and began removing the old ones. The threaded portion of the shaft on the old import pots is smaller than the CTS pots I bought. What's the best (translation: safest) way to enlarge the mount holes without dicking up the finish? I've read that using a drill bit is a definite no-no.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Re: Best way to enlarge pot mounting hole?

I use a woodboring bit (3/8" i believe) and turn it by hand-it takes a few minutes. You can protect the fuinish by putting a piece of masking tape over the hole. otherwise, you can use a small file and work your way around the hole a few passes at a time until it fits.

Comment

It may seem a bit aggressive.... I use a 3/8 drill working it in very slowly. (That sounded dirty!) I have never had a problem with my body getting damaged. (And that didn't help!)

Disclaimer: I accept no liability if you listen to my stupid comments and something goes south. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The proper (Read: Safest, cleanest, most reliable) way to do it is either with:

a multi-fluted reamer (traditional, a bit of tape can´t hurt but usually doesn´t matter)
        a sharp countersink set on UUUUltraslow (modern, finish-protection necessary in immediate vicinity)
        or a bit of elbow grease, patience, and a rat-tail file (Classic, definitely no tape necessary unless you´re Newc [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] )

Hope it helps you out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen! I think I may go with the rat-tail file method. It'll take a lil' longer but I don't want to run the risk of jacking up the finish outside of what the knobs would cover.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I use a woodboring bit (3/8" i believe) and turn it by hand-it takes a few minutes. You can protect the fuinish by putting a piece of masking tape over the hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1, the key is doing it by had rather than using a drill, etc. A light touch and a little patience will keep your finish in good shape.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I agree with the reamer suggestion. These are not common household tools, granted.

The file should do fine!
              www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

STOPPPPP!!!!

Use a drill bit that is a little smaller than the hole you have now. Reverse-wrap some heavy grit sandpaper around the bit as tightly as you can, and almost to the tip of the bit (a 3" wide strip of sandpaper should be plenty).
                Insert the bit and sandpaper into the hole at least halfway along the bit/paper and drill away, moving in and out of the hole.

I've successfully expanded tuner and knob holes this way. It's quick, it's safe, it's easy.

Zerb - Bastard [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

ok .. how bout this get a dremel with sandpaper arbors instead of jerry riggin a drill ...
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    ok .. how bout this get a dremel with sandpaper arbors instead of jerry riggin a drill ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nahh, jerry-riggin will cos way more damage potential!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I haven't seen a dremel sander that small...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I haven't seen a dremel sander that small...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have em @ work ..
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got 'er done and that's exactly what I used, Kev. Went and borrowed my neighbor's Dremel last night cuz the file was taking waaaaay too long. Worked like a charm! Thanx again to all my JCF bros for the help! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

BTW, I'm lovin' learnin' how to work on my own stuff!

Comment

You could try using a washer the size of the hole you want as a template if your going by hand and want to be sure of a true diameter. Tape over the finish, then washer, then tape again. Just make sure you hold it in place during the upstrokes. It should work with a variable speed dremel like tool as well.

Comment

Dremel with small diameter sanding barrel or taper reamer. Both work great. I see you used the Dremel. I couldn't live without one! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X