Volume pot that stays put

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pot that stays put

I have problems hitting my volume knob with my finger sometimes when soloing. My volume decreases and it's a pain. Since I don't use vol swells, I was thinking of installing a pot that clicks in increments and is harder to move. Anyone know where to find one?

Re: Volume pot that stays put

I have a cheaper/better solution for ya...what I do is cut 'washers' out of 1/4" thick foam (like the type of foam EMG gives you with their pickups), and put them under the volume knob. Depending on the knob you might have to use a couple. The foam compresses and if you cut it right won't stick out or be seen. The foam adds enough friction so the knob stays put (and you can vary the amount of friction by how much foam you use).

Takes me only a minute to cut and add the foam, and I do this with practically all my guitars.

Also, another help could be a smaller knob. Most knobs are 3/4" dia x 3/4" tall. Carvin sells a 5/8" x 5/8" knob which is smaller:
    carvin knob

Comment

CTS pots (sold with the fender parts) and Carvin pots both have a stiffer feel than some cheaper pots. If you don't use the volume knob at all, you could just hardwire it and bypass the pot altogether. OR, you could replace it with an on/off switch if you turn it down between tunes-kind of a killswitch, if you will.

Comment

I like the foam washer idea [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

You could also loosen the knob's set screw (if it's a Dome type), and push it all the way down the pot shaft so it rests on the body of the guitar, making it somewhat harder to turn.

Or unwire the knob and use an Ernie Ball High Gain volume pedal at the front of your setup for your main volume.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

ET foam home - I'll try the foam first. Thanks.

Comment

You could take out the Vol and put in a kill switch that works opposite of your hand movement. The foam idea sounds like it will be the least invasive and do the trick tho.. I'll have to tack that to my notepad.

Comment

If the guitar has a tone knob, pull it out, move the volume to the tone knobs spot, and the tone knob to the volumes spot.

Wait, you don't use the tone knob? just use the pot to fill the hole, and cut the tone knob out of the circuitry.
              Doing so, makes you cool, too cool for school, and I hate tone knobs.

Comment

Desolder the pot and wire a resistor in instead.

Problem solved.

- E.
                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Awesome Idea Mountaindog! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Or just take the knob off. It takes a lot more force to turn the pot when the knob has been taken off of it (torque..) so you probably wouldn't turn it by accident anymore. That's the solution involving the least amount of work.

Comment

The foam idea sounds good, but it doesn't really work on push-pulls.....
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

You can also use some small rubber orings.You should be able to pick them up at any auto parts or hardware store.They will last longer than the foam also.
                        Mike
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Working...
                        X