Mic my cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mic my cab

I thought I posted this a week or 2 ago but I can't find it now:scratch: Currently I use a Behringer Ultra G box because I hate deciding where to put the mic. The box has cab emulation. It was cheap and cool for a while but now it seems to me it doesn't sound full enough through the PA. I'd like to go back to a mic. Where do you guys mic your cabs? I've always used a 57 on the outer rim of the speaker, close to the cloth. I've seen guys run it at a 45-degree angle at the same location. I've seen other guys keep the mic 6-8 inches away. How do I capture my cab sound the way it sounds when kneeling just above the cone beam? It's not too harsh, but it's deep and sounds huge and carries solos. Should I try a different mic?

Re: Mic my cab

Your 57 should be fine. The best way to do it is trial and error. Start by mic'ing dead center on a cone at a 90 degree angle and move out from there. When you find the place you think it sounds best, mark it on the grill with white tape.

Comment

Re: Mic my cab

The mic should sit so the face of it is just touching the cloth. Place it between the cone and the outer edge of the speaker. Either the left or right side of the speaker depending on which speaker you mic...left or right. Never place the mic directly in front of the cone!!

Hope this helps!!

Comment

Working...
      X