pickup sound clip thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup sound clip thread?

I was thinking it would be great if we could get a thread going with small clips of different pickups to get a taste of the model. Theres always lots of questions about what pickup to try in such and such guitar.

This would be immensely helpful as on the offical site there tend to be some clips but not for all models. I read the Duncan Custom thread and that pick up really sparks my interest.

Currently I am enjoying my JB but am thinking about options for future guitars. As I have mentioned in a few other threads I have yet to hear a EMG 81 . Some people really like them some people dont. I have EMGhz's in a DKMGTFF but not sure if I really care for those and how different a 81 would be. I am tending to lean toward something that has alittle more warmth but not as bright sounding as my Duncan Distortion.

Anyways I would love to see such a helpful thread. There could be distortion and clean clips for different models helping such pickups virgins as myself.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: pickup sound clip thread?

actually, I think that is a very good idea, so I'd say, lets go with it. I am not able to record some things now, my POD is lend to someone...

anyone else?

harrald

Comment

There is an awful lot of possibilities that cut into this.... For example, Body wood, quality of wood, does it have a cap (How thick is it) neck-thru, bolt on, hollow body....etc. or how about type of amp or modeler, or just plain settings.

Just because my Invader sounds good in my basswood neck through Ibanez doesn't mean it is going to sound good in yours. Every guitar has it's own characteristics, qualities and deficiencies.....

I think the concept is good, but, lacks a lot of substance and possibilities as I said above, from amp settings to modeler's.

What I think sounds good on my settings may sound like crap to you.

I think this is nearly impossible to achieve. It really wont be a good comparison. Just a general idea, and I mean very general.

This is however just my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong....

I am however willing to do a little recording and change pups from one axe to another to accommodate this if it would help.

Comment

Rhmsc8 is right. Unless everyone has the same setup the comparisons are completely worthless IMO. It's not the same as comparing amp clips....amps impart much more of their personality into the overall sound.

Comment

Duncan and DiMarzio both have 21 and 30 day trial periods for their pickups. All you have to do is order one, try it for the trial period, and if you don't like it, you can exchange it for another pickup until you find the one that is perfect for your guitar/sound situation. That's really the only way to do it, I've realized. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Seymour Duncan does have sound clips on their website that have the right idea... identical guitar, identical amp, identical settings on everything, except the pickups themselves.

Comment

yep in order to do that and get trustworthy results you would have to test each and every pup with the exact same rig - same guitar, same amp, same settings, same licks, etc.

I think the custom thread is a good start - when that many people rave about a product with no one jumping into oppose the view - I reckon the darn thing must be hot!

Comment

Working...
            X