Guitar set up question, bolt on joint not parralel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar set up question, bolt on joint not parralel

Hey there, while looking at my model 4 after having messed about with the Floyd ( Something came out [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]... I didn't take care of what I'm going to mention soon so that Floyd accident (which I nailed) may be the cause) I noticed that the bolt on part of the neck which is 'inside' the guitar (if you see what I mean )is not parralell to the body's top. I,e if the top is flat, the fingerboard/neck appears to be slightly angled compared to it. The neck seems very tinily curved but nothing dramatic (it IS a 16/17 years old guitar...). I was wondering if this is normal or if I should have it set up (well I am going to go have it looked at anyway... Better safe than sure)
    I hope you guys will be able to help me, cheers!

Re: Guitar set up question, bolt on joint not parralel

Guitars with non-recessed trems are designed so that the neck tilts back at a 4 degree angle for optimum string action. Notice how the strings angle downward from the bridge across the body and toward the neck. The neck angle just continues this in order to keep everything parallel and allow for good setup & low action. When a Floyd is added to a guitar with a non-angled neck, such as a Strat with a vintage trem, a shim is put in the neck pocket to get the desired neck angle.

Comment

Re: Guitar set up question, bolt on joint not parralel

the neck is slightly angled to accomodate the non-recessed floyd. since the bridge sits a little higher off the body than a vintage trem, or fixed bridge, the neck is angles back a little so the action can be lowered to a manageable level.
      As for the neck "curvature"-which is called "relief" to those in the know-is not a big deal. SOme like their necks absolutely straight, some prefer a little relief. It is easily adjusted by the truss rod if it causes you problems.

Comment

Working...
      X