Opinions on the Dimarzio Evolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the Dimarzio Evolution?

...because I just ordered a guitar with one. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Opinions on the Dimarzio Evolution?

I have one and love it. It has a "singing" quality, and is very responsive to pinch harmonics.

Comment

cool high-output pickup! i use a pair of evos in my AT pro soloist and a bridge evo in my warrior.

Comment

What is the difference in bridge and neck versions? Is it just a spacing thing? Or are they wound different or something. I have one that came out of the neck position of an old epi sg, but who knows as that guit was such a hacked up mess and squealed like a pig too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never really thought of Evos for high gain playing. Maybe because I associate them with Vai. I wonder how they would sound in a really high gain situation though, like thrash.
          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

there are three big differences between the neck and bridge evo!
            output, tonal-characteristix, spaceing.

visit the dimarzio homepage and check the details of both pups.

Comment

Yes, I did that after posting, silly me, big differences. Who woulda thunk it.

Comment

Evos excel at high gain playing IMO. They are EXTREMELY tight and aggressive. I would almost liken it to an EMG81 with a different EQ curve. It's got a fair amount of upper mids and is kinda bright like a JB but it's a pretty brutal pickup.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It's got a fair amount of upper mids

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what attracted me to it. And the high output. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I would almost liken it to an EMG81 with a different EQ curve. It's got a fair amount of upper mids and is kinda bright like a JB but it's a pretty brutal pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm... so it should be good for death metal right ?

i was considering something with lower output to train my picking hand , also with less highs (81 gets brittle sometimes)

Comment

emg 85 - i never really liked the evo for metal. it sounded OK in whitesnake "slip of the toung" but not the sound i hear in my head for metal. i like their sound better on the self titled. the evo is just too "cold" sounding to me. it doesn't mix well with guitars that have different pups.

what really you just need an APC persauder lead.
                      but it will take you 4 months to get it after you order it. but it is worth the wait.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        I would almost liken it to an EMG81 with a different EQ curve. It's got a fair amount of upper mids and is kinda bright like a JB but it's a pretty brutal pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm... so it should be good for death metal right ?

i was considering something with lower output to train my picking hand , also with less highs (81 gets brittle sometimes)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it would work fine for death metal although I don't know what the correlation is with lower output and training your picking hand.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          there are three big differences between the neck and bridge evo!
                          output, tonal-characteristix, spaceing.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          How is spacing any different? Both neck and bridge versions are offered in either regular or F-spaced.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ups, my fault. i thought the neck is only availible with regular spacing. who need a F-spaced neck PU? f-spacing is only important for the bridge pu.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              ups, my fault. i thought the neck is only availible with regular spacing. who need a F-spaced neck PU? f-spacing is only important for the bridge pu.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what caused my initial confusion. I guess that "neck" and "bridge" are just suggestions and its quite possible that someone might want the "neck" version in their bridge. Probably designed to be used as a pair but entirely different pickups, each capable of being used in either the neck or bridge in combination with other pickups. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X