Duncan custom review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan custom review

I just slapped this bad boy in my Epi LP, threw on a new set of 10 gauge strings, and started playing. Aside from the guitar going out of tune due tot he new strings, this pickup sounds awesome. I had heard what was being said about having great clarity even with high amounts of distortion, and it is true. With the gain dimed on my Boss distortion pedal, you really can hear every note in a chord. I had been hoping it would sound as good as the Screamin' Demon I had in there but with higher output. It sounds better. YOu should go buy 4 or 5 of these things. I think I'm gonna get another one for my model 4.

Re: Duncan custom review

I love the one in my JacksonStars NASL, but compared to all my other pickups (Screamin Demons, a JB, Pearly Gates, etc) it's rather dark. As in, can't even do Sabbath because it's TOO dark for that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I just slapped this bad boy in my Epi LP, threw on a new set of 10 gauge strings, and started playing. Aside from the guitar going out of tune due tot he new strings, this pickup sounds awesome. I had heard what was being said about having great clarity even with high amounts of distortion, and it is true. With the gain dimed on my Boss distortion pedal, you really can hear every note in a chord. I had been hoping it would sound as good as the Screamin' Demon I had in there but with higher output. It sounds better. YOu should go buy 4 or 5 of these things. I think I'm gonna get another one for my model 4.

[/ QUOTE ]
      other than the Duncan distortion and 81 this pup is my favorite all time hummer
      what i love about it is that is a PAF hot tone.
      it has that paf type tone but only waayyy more ballsy and more clarity.
      it is a very underated pup,everyone raves about the JB and yes the JB kicks but i think the custom is better for clarity and drive plus it has a better, tighter, deeper bass
      [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I have really enjoyed the custom. I put one in a PC3 and it's got a nice sound to it.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I have really enjoyed the custom. I put one in a PC3 and it's got a nice sound to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
          yeah isnt it real balanced with a nice ohmmph to it?
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I have the tb-5 in my GMW "Ratt" and it is the best sounding guitar I own (2 soloists, 1 GMW, 1 SD Charvy Pointy and an Ibanez Les Paul). chucksplatter thinks the charvy has a duncan full shred in it and it is my 2nd best sounding git.
            My 2 soloists sound great as well but these 2 are in a different league. I wonder why my bolt ons sound more "Brown" than my neck thrus?
            Awesome sounding Pick up!, I may put one iin my 89 soloist (it has Jackson pickups in there now)
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

<font color="yellow">I really like the Duncan Custom. Sully and Boxcar turned me on to them as a recommended pup and it is the best advice I've gotten around here.

It is warm, is very articulate, and has a nice Les Pauley sound to it, but still its own character.

I don't know if my favorite is the 59' or the Custom, but they are both awesome replacement pups.

I put a Custom in my white Dinky that I restored along with a Jazz in the neck, and dammit if I don't reach for that guitar most of the time, and I have SD Jackson and Charvel Strats along with Big Red and a Shannon Soloist too....

You can't go wrong with a Custom [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                <font color="yellow">I really like the Duncan Custom. Sully and Boxcar turned me on to them as a recommended pup and it is the best advice I've gotten around here.

It is warm, is very articulate, and has a nice Les Pauley sound to it, but still its own character.

I don't know if my favorite is the 59' or the Custom, but they are both awesome replacement pups.

I put a Custom in my white Dinky that I restored along with a Jazz in the neck, and dammit if I don't reach for that guitar most of the time, and I have SD Jackson and Charvel Strats along with Big Red and a Shannon Soloist too....

You can't go wrong with a Custom [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                yeah and i want to add they sound great thorugh BOGNERS,MESA'S,MARSHALL's,ENGL's,etc
                it is one of the only pups that seems to go with any amp it is ran through due to it's EQ and output [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the Custom more than any other pickup I have tried yet. I would probably never have tried one, but my Lado had one in it when I got it, but some bonehead had switched the neck &amp; bridge pickups around. I switched them back, and plugged her in, and I think I said out loud "HOLY SHITE!!!".
                  I have since bought 2 more. One for my King V, and a spare.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Custom is my all time favorite. Like a PAF, but on steroids and wearing sh!tkickers [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I think I just added the custom to my list of next pickups to put in my 4. Does it do metal well...? I like a fat heavy tone, Metallica/Megadeth like (yeah they aren't mainstream for nothing, I like their tones :P ) and I still can't chose between SD JB, SD Custom, SD Distorsion and DiMarzio Tonezone...

Comment

What # are you all referring to? TB-??

I've see several called out as "custom" - curious to try this hot puppy out.

Comment

My favorite pick as well.
                          It's the Custom. One word, only word. Duncan Custom.

Comment

ahhh ok SH-5/TB-5 - cool its .1 taller than the TB-4 hmmmmm

Comment

basically I picked it because as I was looking at the "tone chart" on the Duncan site, it appeared to be voiced very similarly to the Demon, but with more nuts and a ceramic magnet. I rolled the dice and came up lucky with this one! Pott asked it it could do metal-I say this pup could do just about anything you wanted it to do. It definitely has a fat and heavy tone to it-but doesn't sound all fuzzy and harsh like some other pups do when you crank the gain. YOu can actually still hear the tone of the guitar, and get the great sustain that all that gain provides. I haven't messed around witht he EQ to see what it can do as of yet, but I will get to it sometimew this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X