I'm gunna scallop.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gunna scallop.....

i'm planning on buying a cheap SX strat, and scalloping the fretboard myself! anyone have experience with this, or know what tools I need, other than a rounded file?

Re: I\'m gunna scallop.....

Dremel baby [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] and zip ties for the frets.
    i've done a bunch of them.
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Just make sure THIS doesn't happen to your fretboard... click the following link!

http://www.guitar.com/Discuss/readms...303&page=1

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Had to dig deep to find that link again... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i remember that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        try this one

i think i have some a little closer ,,ill have to dig.
        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't you be better off with a file set than a dremel? Dremel just seems like an accident waiting to happen, especially for someone who has never done it before. How about the file set, book and video deal from stew mac?

I wouldn't mind attempting this myself as well......

Comment

LOL!!!!!!! what A douche!!!! that made me laugh for 5 min...no shit.... so, any tips you have, NOTP?

Comment

well, if you zip tie the frets(i always put one on each side and let them touch on the fret itself) and make smooth light passes with the dremel barrel sanders, you shouldent have a prob. just dont go to deep all at once and do a smooth stroke across the whole fretboard. but for the first time i wouldent recomend whipping out the old low number
              San Dimas to experiment on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">What I had used, was a set of round and half round files first to do the major wood removal and then I used deep sockets from a socket/ratchet set with sandpaper wrapped around them. They worked great because in a complete set of those, there is a good variety of diameters to match the area between frets. Zip ties to protect the frets is the way to go too. </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Just make sure THIS doesn't happen to your fretboard... click the following link!

http://www.guitar.com/Discuss/readms...303&amp;page=1

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Had to dig deep to find that link again... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHH IIIII HIHIHHOHO;WAKRJSFSYX;MCJHN"""!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] hehehehehehehe ......... . .

*picks self up off floor*

OOOH, that was GOOOD, I needed that. What a complete and total idiot [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

His reply was the best. "Dang, you guys are harsh". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

here's a few

Comment

Zip ties and a Dremel tool are the only way to go. If you use files you will be there for an eternity and you will probably nick the frets anyway.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          But between the 1st and 8th fret, i think i might've messed up.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ya think????

Comment

Hey Dave (Moshwitz), in your second pic that looks like some kind of rawhide on your guitar stand?? Don't you have to keep that stuff soaked in saliva regularly so it'll be soft enough to protect the neck wood? Just curious.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

You guys do it the hard way! I did mine on a milling machine, took like 30 minutes to do an entire neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X