pickup alignment problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup alignment problem

Ok, so I just get done installing my regular spaced dimarzio super in my Hamer stellar with tom bridge. First thing I notice is that the strings are not spaced at all like the pickup. Sure enough, I check the specs and the original duncan designed is trembucker spaced. I guess I can live with that. Then I notice that the pickup is off to the bass side like 1/8". Hmm, then I notice that the pickup ring is not even centered on the strings. I figure maybe I can just remove the screws slide it over and make new screw holes. No can do. It turns out that the bridge route is off center. Up until now I thought the quality was pretty good on this korean made guitar. So, anyway, these 2 things add up to one insanely off centered pickup, mostly noticeable on the high E side. Heres a pic
    http://members.aol.com/carbuff/dist.jpg
    Its a fairly hot pup so in all honesty I can say that this doesnt seem to be affecting the sound. But, its annoying just the same. Am I being anal? Or would this bug you guys too. Are there differently spaced tom's? I dont seem to remember having this spacing difference on my epi sg when it had the tone zone in it, and I dont have any other tom equipped guitars at the moment to check. You can see how off centered the pickup ring is compared to the tom bridge.

Re: pickup alignment problem

yes, you're being too anal.
    yes, different bridge spacings do exist.
    get a trem spaced pickup.

or better yet, get over it and just play the fuckin' thing.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I don't think it would bother me that much, but I don't know, it's not mine..so, mail it too me..let me test it, and I will get back to you. Seriously, just play it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, I figured that id get a few responses like this. I just take pride in the stuff that I do and it kinda pissed me off that the pickup was so off center. The spacing wasnt so much a problem but just sorta a question. Thanks for setting me straight!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

you could try bending the "feet" on the pickup so it hangs a little further to the treble side, but from the looks of things, that will put the rest of the strings off the poles a few mm. It looks like it was designed to have a trem spaced pup-which is really odd.

Comment

Yeah, the mudmaster Duncan designed that came out was indeed trem spaced which made the off center part hardly noticeable. I thought about bending the feet too. But I thought that would make the pickup look like it was falling out of the ring. It sounds fine so I guess I will just have to deal with it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Ok, I figured that id get a few responses like this. I just take pride in the stuff that I do and it kinda pissed me off that the pickup was so off center. The spacing wasnt so much a problem but just sorta a question. Thanks for setting me straight!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              if you do not want to plunge and buy the tremspaced version what you need to do is shim the High E side at thew pups leg so it is pushed to the low E side more.
              what you are looking for is for at least the outer rim of hex pole to at least be slightly under the string
              looking at the pic,

i feel you can at least make the pup aligned good enough to not have to buy another [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
              i have done this before with excellent results i hope this solves your prob?
              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Thanks for the tip. The thing is that the actual pickup cavity is so off center also that I cant even force the pickup that far without the ear hitting the wood first. It seems to be sounding OK. I was thinking of bending the ears to make it sit centered but I thought that would look really ugly. Im not really too thrilled with having to take it all apart either right now. But I might dowell the ring holes and try and move the whole assembly up a bit. I will probably have to trim the cavity a bit on the one side but I think I can do it without making a mess. I was also considering getting a not trem spaced tom but was worried about how that would affect string spacing on the neck. Any how it will be about a week til I get the urge to pull it apart again. Do you think an oversized pickup ring will look stupid? I use those oversized switchplates all the time in my house. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat that one bro. It won't affect anything.

Comment

how bout a pup with rails?
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Yeah, that would be cool, but the idea was to use this (free) one. I'll just mess with it when I get a chance. Its sounding great so I guess its no biggee.

Comment

It's free, no worries [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Unless the looks of it really bother you (or if there's an actual drop-off in sound on the high E string) I wouldn't worry about it. Some people claim they can hear a difference if the strings don't line up directly with the pole pieces, but the magnet is pretty strong that it really doesn't matter, IMO.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd say playing an off-centered pickup like that may result in serious damage to your guitar, to the pickup, and to your amp. But if i said that i'd just be kidding.
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Thanks for the tip. The thing is that the actual pickup cavity is so off center also that I cant even force the pickup that far without the ear hitting the wood first. It seems to be sounding OK. I was thinking of bending the ears to make it sit centered but I thought that would look really ugly. Im not really too thrilled with having to take it all apart either right now. But I might dowell the ring holes and try and move the whole assembly up a bit. I will probably have to trim the cavity a bit on the one side but I think I can do it without making a mess. I was also considering getting a not trem spaced tom but was worried about how that would affect string spacing on the neck. Any how it will be about a week til I get the urge to pull it apart again. Do you think an oversized pickup ring will look stupid? I use those oversized switchplates all the time in my house. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks to all for the suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              you can slightly bend the legs of the dimarzio to make the shift possible,BUT BE DELICATE! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                              IMHO i really recomend just buying a F-spaced dimarzio [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                              X