Seymour Duncan JB vs DiMarzio Tonezone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan JB vs DiMarzio Tonezone

The subject says it all. It's to fit a Charvel model 4. I love the JB but I've never played a tonezone. Mostly I play classic rock, Punk and Metal. So yeah a bit of advise can't hurt, thanks for replying! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also could anyone give me more info about the Jackson JT6 trem? I'll get one of those on the 4.

Re: Seymour Duncan JB vs DiMarzio Tonezone

The Tone Zone has a lot of low mids and bass. The JB has more high mids and seems to lack low end to me.
    As for the JT6, I thought it was a very nice trem on the Model 6 and Model 5A that I used to own, and I liked the fine tuners on the back around the locking pins instead of on top. They stayed in tune fine; though, the metal is kinda cheap.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The TZ is very different than the JB IMO as far as sound. It's much much meatier than the JB...it has TONS of mids, low mids, and bass. I can sound mushy and undefined in some guitars but it does what it's supposed to do.

It's probably the meatiest pickup out there probably and you might want something more moderate if coming from the JB.

Comment

I'd agree with that.. I love tonezones and never cared for JB's. Tone zones also are great harmonically
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I love both.
          I have a guitar(Dinky) with Tone Zone, also 3 Jackson(neck Thru KV,Y2KV and Rhoads) with JBs.
          For me these are the best pickups ever.
          I always choose one of these for my guitars.

Comment

The Tone Zone is a great pickup. Not to mention, Dimarzio will give you credit towards a new pickup if you're not happy with it within 30 days. You just need to call them and have the original reciept.

Comment

I used to not like the JB, but it has grown on me-it is definitely more of a lead, i.e. meedley meedley, pickup. It is not quite ballsy enough for the chuggah chuggah type thing.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that body woods also play a role too. I hate the JB with ebony fretboards cause it sounds too thin to me but love it with rosewood fretboards....sounds big.

Comment

the music man axis bridge pickup is pretty much a tone zone if you want to check it out before you buy one.

Comment

i can´t say anything about the JB because i never owned one, but i use the TZ in different guitars and this PU rocks.
                    as said in the post above, the TZ is installed in the EVH/axis musicman and it works fine, the other guitars i use the TZ with are:
                    charvel sandimas re. I (koabody), sandimas re. III (mahagonie with mapletop) and in my VH strat replica (plywood body). i once installed the TZ in a basswood and it work fine as well.
                    very easy to get harmonics with this PU, a lot of mids and bass. i love it!

Comment

I don't really get what mids, low end (bass) are so...
                      Thanks for the help though. I think I'll go for SD since I already know the pickups and they're all cheaper [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But keep on trying to convinve me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

ToneZones and Mahog/Maple are a perfect combo ..
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Tone Zones are great, I've got one on a PS4 and it's pretty killer. I have a bunch of friends who swear by it as the go to pickup. Having said that, my only experience with a JB is listening to Megadeth.
                          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I used to not like the JB, but it has grown on me-it is definitely more of a lead, i.e. meedley meedley, pickup. It is not quite ballsy enough for the chuggah chuggah type thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            say what [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            listen to lamb of god's "ashes of the wake" then tell me the JB cant do chugah chugah stuff! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              The subject says it all. It's to fit a Charvel model 4. I love the JB but I've never played a tonezone. Mostly I play classic rock, Punk and Metal. So yeah a bit of advise can't hurt, thanks for replying! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also could anyone give me more info about the Jackson JT6 trem? I'll get one of those on the 4.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I would go duncan distortion bro, the tone zone can be muddy in warmer toned guitars and sounds best in very bright ones and the JB is great but you are obviously seeking something different?
                              the DD has the balls and a raw rock and metal tone with great clarity and will do punk no prob give her a go you wont be dissapointed! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                              X