Natural necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural necks

I just picked up a 1996 DK1 and was wondering what kind of maintenance if any needs to be done to the back of the neck. Its in great shape now but I imagine at some point it might need to be cleaned and/or oiled. What might I have to do?

Re: Natural necks

nice score! im not positive how to tell when its needed, but im pretty sure you just rub it in real nice and wipe away the excess, making sure the wood is sealed from stuff getting into it.

Comment

I go over mine with 0000 Steel wool and a bit of lemon oil once a year or so [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yah rub it down with 0000 steel wool and give it a coat or 2 of oil (pure tung oil works well) once a year or so.

Washing your hands before playing and wiping the neck with a clean dry cloth when you’re finished helps to keep oiled necks clean. You probably do this already though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Washing your hands before playing and wiping the neck with a clean dry cloth when you’re finished helps to keep oiled necks clean. You probably do this already though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, sure do. I am truly anal about my guitars to the point of it probably qualifying as some sort of phobia they don't have a name for. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

actually i would clean it with that murphy's oil soap (i use the pre moistened towels so i dont get the neck to wet) then oil it lightly and leave it on for ten minutes or a little longer then rub it in.it will take a little effort because that oil gets a little sticky. then let it sit for a couple of hours and then rub it down with the 0000 steel wool. if you want it really smooth find this stuff called birchwood casey gun stock wax you can get it at hunting stores and put that on. thats what music man uses on there necks and it really makes the neck feel smooth.

Comment

I like to use linseed oil on my SLATQH. When I got it, the neck felt quite rough, so I rubbed it with 0000 steel wool (remember to put a rag over the pickups), and gave it a light coat of linseed oil. I left it on about 5 minutes. It's a lot smoother and not sticky at all. That was about 4 months ago, and it hasn't required another treatment.

Comment

Working...
              X