Duncan designed pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan designed pickups

Hi, I finally got around to replacing the bridge pickup in my Hamer stellar 1. It was one of those chrome covered duncan designed deals that I replaced with a Dimarzio SD. Huge improvement. The old pickup sounded like mud and now my guitar screams. Examining the old pickup I see that its a model hb103b. This is supposed to be a duncan distortion clone. I cant believe a DD would sound this bad. Is it just the metal cover causing this or are the Duncan designed pickups really this bad. As in not really sounding like the model they are supposed to be a clone of. A quick google shows that this pickup was commonly used in some Jackson guitars. So I figured some body here might have had some experience with them. It makes a pretty paperweight anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Duncan designed pickups

I've heard most of the Duncan Designs really don't sound that great compared to the real Duncans. Though, the Duncan Designed stacked P-90s in my ESP/LTD Eclipse actually sound really good. I was originally planning to change them with some DiMarzios before I got the guitar, but I don't really feel a need to change them now.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Keeping in mind that I have yet to try the Duncan JB/Jazz combo, I nonetheless found the Duncan Designed HB-102 set (JB/Jazz set) to be quite clear and meaty in their sound in my old KE3. That's really my only experience with the Duncan Designed pickups, and I had nothing else to compare them to, so I can't tell you whether they're all supposed to sound that good or not. Mileage may vary. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I did eventually replace those pickups with EMGs in that particular guitar, but active EMGs and passive Duncan Designeds are two totally different beasts.

Comment

I really like my duncan design detonator 108 in the neck...

I ripped out the dimarzio superII in the neck the day I put it in, and popped the DD back in. I couldn't play any leads with the superII. Too shrill for my taste. Sounds as almost like a bridge pickup, which is not what I like for leads.

the superD in the bridge is killer though! Love it!
        I might get a real invader for my neck one day.

Oh, and if anyone likes a bright neck and wants a mint 3 weeks out of factory box vintage superII from the late 70s/early 80s, pm me :P

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I ripped out the dimarzio superII in the neck the day I put it in, and popped the DD back in. I couldn't play any leads with the superII. Too shrill for my taste. Sounds as almost like a bridge pickup, which is not what I like for leads.

[/ QUOTE ]That's what I love about the Super II, it doesn't get muddy in the neck but still has a little warmth, IMO. And I don't find them shrill at all. I prefer brighter neck pups matched with warmer bridge pups. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd love to take it off your hands, but I've already got an extra laying around and no guitar for it yet.

Comment

duncan designed - yes, they suck.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Yeah, as soon as I heard the superIIs I realized that Toejam is type that loves a *bright* neck :P.

I'm betting it would sounds great on a les paul, which is on my future purchase list.

But seriously the superD kicks ass. I really want to hear a superD in the neck, I think it will be fantastic!

Comment

Actually, Ive had a detonator and an invader and thought that they sounded about the same. This 103b is covered and I can see the wax oozing out of the bottom. Would the cover cause the muddiness?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Actually, Ive had a detonator and an invader and thought that they sounded about the same. This 103b is covered and I can see the wax oozing out of the bottom. Would the cover cause the muddiness?

[/ QUOTE ]

The wax would just make it nice and quiet. It is called potting.
                  Duncan Designed pickups are decent. Sometimes I wonder if they aren't the same as actual Seymour Duncans. The Detonator is super close to the Invader but the Duncan Designed 59 and Distortion sound a little muddy to me. For the extra $10-$20.00 per pickup I would suggest getting actual Seymour Duncans or even better.. go with Dimarzio. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I got a set of DD HB103's from a board member here. I used the neck one to replace the stock pup in my EPi LP. That one sounds pretty good-definitely an improvement over the stock. My only complaint is that it does tend to be a little muddy. I used the Bridge model in my model 4 mutt for a while and could not stand it. It was really weak and thin sounding-at first I thought I had wired it as a single coil, but I checked it and it was right. It was just awful sounding. SInce it is based on the Distortion, I plan on getting a black and creme one for the neck of my LP. FIrst I have to install the Custom I ordered for the bridge. I guess the Duncan Designed ones are kind of hit or miss.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I really like my duncan design detonator 108 in the neck...

the superD in the bridge is killer though! Love it!
                      I might get a real invader for my neck one day.

Oh, and if anyone likes a bright neck and wants a mint 3 weeks out of factory box vintage superII from the late 70s/early 80s, pm me :P

[/ QUOTE ]
                      hows that detonator in the bridge sound?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Hi, I finally got around to replacing the bridge pickup in my Hamer stellar 1. It was one of those chrome covered duncan designed deals that I replaced with a Dimarzio SD. Huge improvement. The old pickup sounded like mud and now my guitar screams. Examining the old pickup I see that its a model hb103b. This is supposed to be a duncan distortion clone. I cant believe a DD would sound this bad. Is it just the metal cover causing this or are the Duncan designed pickups really this bad. As in not really sounding like the model they are supposed to be a clone of. A quick google shows that this pickup was commonly used in some Jackson guitars. So I figured some body here might have had some experience with them. It makes a pretty paperweight anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I use the real deal distortion and trust me the 103 is a mere characture of it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                        get the real DD and you yourself will hear the difference
                        [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

When I bought my DK2 from Easton's, I had him replace the Duncan Designed bridge pup with a SD Distortion so I never got to hear it. I've yet to replace the neck/middle pups. At the very least, I'll be installing a Lil' 59 in the neck which will also be my first adventure in installing my own (pray for me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ). Doesn't look like rocket science, though. It will definitely be a step up cuz the DD single coil in there is pretty lifeless. Muddy explains it pretty well. It serves its purpose satisfactorily but just lacks any kind of character. I don't have an external EQ so I attempted to get something out of it tweaking my amp as well as my effects processor. I eventually gave up and decided a change was required. Some folks like them just fine and that may be due to their setup as well as their superior knowledge in how to coax something out of them. I am neither superior nor patient, thus the need for a change. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
                          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

The DD in the bridge is too muddy for riffing.
                            Its eq is alright... could use more mids and trebs imo.
                            Definitely set it far away from the strings, less muddy that way.

I'm guessing its the same warmth, muddiness/smoothness that makes me like it as a neck... notes just flow (still with geat articulation) when u shred/sweep with it. I LOVE its warmth for leads, though I wouldn't play any rythm with it obviously. Great for yngwie's lead stuff.

btw, I did take apart my DD bridge. It's only got one ceramic magnet in there, with 2 smaller blocks of plastic... which I assume are put in place of the invader's 2 smaller magnets... I remember reading on the duncan forum that if u take out the invaders 2 smaller magnets, it becomes tamer, and they liked it better.

Comment

I actually had two old non-logoed Invaders in my old Professional Kelly XLR. They definitely had a lot of low mids and bass, but they didn't sound muddy to me, even in the neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X