Is it possible to run EMG SAs in 18v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to run EMG SAs in 18v?

I have been considering changing a guitar to SAs and wanted to know if any one has had experience running them at higher voltage to increase output?

Thanks.
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Re: Is it possible to run EMG SAs in 18v?

Output is not appreciably increased with 18V. What you get is a cleaner signal with more headroom.

Here's what EMGinc.com says:

----------------

Can I use multiple batteries?

Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.

Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible.

Comment

NOTP beat me to it... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I post that same answer every time I see an 18V EMG question. Then I usually follow up with something like this...

You can run EMGs in series (to gain voltage) or parallel (to gain longer battery life). EMGs are rated for 27V, but why stop there? Hook up many of those 9V bad boys in series AND parallel. But, why stop there? Just attach a guitar neck onto a body made ENTIRELY out of batteries wired this way for an insane metal meltdown! Your sound will rip your testicles and melt your face off! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I post that same answer every time I see an 18V EMG question. Then I usually follow up with something like this...

You can run EMGs in series (to gain voltage) or parallel (to gain longer battery life). EMGs are rated for 27V, but why stop there? Hook up many of those 9V bad boys in series AND parallel. But, why stop there? Just attach a guitar neck onto a body made ENTIRELY out of batteries wired this way for an insane metal meltdown! Your sound will rip your testicles and melt your face off! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] yep,I got that answear a couple months ago.still haven't got around to the mod
          www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It will take more than Newc to build an insane metal meltdown guitar. Get it? Newc = nuke? Meltdown? Newc = Dr Newcenstein, mad scientist?

Wuuua wuuuaaaaa wuuaaaaaaaaaaaa! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Which way sounds better?

Comment

Although a body made entirely of 9v batteries would be quite dense and heavy, I'm sure much sustain would be lost due the poor "coupling" of the batteries. And then of course you must consider the age-old dilemma....Duracell or Energizer? Standard alkaline, heavy duty, or Nicad rechargeables?

Comment

It's funny you say that, because Eric Johnson (I hear) prefers the cheap batteries.

Comment

funny...I prefer cheap women.

Comment

Funny....I prefer women that run on batteries, hmmm... that didnt come out right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks, I think....
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                          X