JT580 to OFR or Schaller; effect on tone & sustain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580 to OFR or Schaller; effect on tone & sustain

I'm going to replace my JT580LP with a OFR or Schaller. What can I expect in terms of tone or sustain?

Also, give me some opinions on this statement on the Warmoth site comparing the Schaller to the OFR:
    "Sonically, this die cast design is slightly warmer sounding than the solid steel original."

Thanks,
    AJ

Re: JT580 to OFR or Schaller; effect on tone & sustain

I am one of only a few here who actually did a lot of real research into this. Two summers ago I installed the JT-6, a genuine Floyd, and a Schaller JT-590 on the same guitar. There was absolutely no difference in tone or sustain. Absolutely zero. On four other guitars I tried all three tremolos as well, same results.

The only thing I noticed different was the feel of the trems. On a Jackson guitar with an original JT-6, the Floyd Rose felt "off." Shaky, and not smooth like it didn't belong there. But the tone was identical and there was/is absolutely no difference.

Remember, tone and sustain come from WAY MORE than a bridge. Don't forget your amp, your effects, the room you're in, your string gauge, and most important of all: your hands/fingers. That's where 99% of your tone comes from.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Re: JT580 to OFR or Schaller; effect on tone & sus

[ QUOTE ]
      I am one of only a few here who actually did a lot of real research into this. Two summers ago I installed the JT-6, a genuine Floyd, and a Schaller JT-590 on the same guitar. There was absolutely no difference in tone or sustain. Absolutely zero. On four other guitars I tried all three tremolos as well, same results.

The only thing I noticed different was the feel of the trems. On a Jackson guitar with an original JT-6, the Floyd Rose felt "off." Shaky, and not smooth like it didn't belong there. But the tone was identical and there was/is absolutely no difference.

Remember, tone and sustain come from WAY MORE than a bridge. Don't forget your amp, your effects, the room you're in, your string gauge, and most important of all: your hands/fingers. That's where 99% of your tone comes from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great info. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

How did the feel compare in the other guitars?

Comment

Only in one guitar has a the Floyd Rose replaced an original JT-6 and it felt right. Let me also add to my statements above that I am a slave to tone and take this kind of thing very seriously. Unless one has a defective tremolo leave it as is, trust me.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I agree that there's no real difference in tone or sustain with the different bridges. The same is true with body/neck woods in my experience. I believe those factors affect the tone somewhat when a guitar is played acoustically, but when you plug it in and crank it up you'll find the pickups and amp have far more effect on your tone.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I usually swap to an OFR only for feel. The JT6 just feels junky in my hands, but that doesn't mean it's a bad bridge.

Comment

btw. the OFR is also produced, near my hometown here in germany, by schaller.

Comment

there's just no comparison between an ofr and most "licensed" piece of junk trems.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I am one of only a few here who actually did a lot of real research into this. Two summers ago I installed the JT-6, a genuine Floyd, and a Schaller JT-590 on the same guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for going to the trouble to do this and reporting your findings to us. This is very useful info, and I appreciate it.

Comment

I'm gonna agree with what most of the other guys are saying. Much of the tone has to do with the actual construction of the guitar, the pickups, the amp and the most important factor by far are your hands.

Oh, and I put a Mighty Mite Floyd in my PS4 after the original one went defective. I gotta tell you, it was a huge step up from that crap they were shipping on there.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

the OFR is slightly brighter(more brittle sounding) than the schaller logo stamped floyd version.
                      the shaller is a notch warmer but nothing drastic.
                      both are equally top notch trems [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                      X