Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone compared the duncan distortion to the

EMG H4's?
    how do these compare to the duncan distortion tonally?

Re: has anyone compared the duncan distortion to t

It really depends on what you're looking for tonally. Personally, I can't stand EMG pickups, so I'd pick the distortion every time. However, the distortion doesn't have enough low-end response for me, so keep that in mind.

Comment

I am personally on the other side of that. I like the EMG H4's. They are very low noise and give a really nice solo tone in clarity. I think they have just the right amount of range on all counts. I don't care for the DD. Not enough low end bite. Every time I try to kick up my amp with more low end it gets muddy.

If you have more than the 2 options..... Check out the Dimarzio X2N's

Just my opinion.

CLAIM OF LIABILITY:
      The author of this post will and cannot be held responsible for any cost you endure listening to his dump response to your question. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am such an ass!

Comment

I prefer the Duncan Custom 5 myself. A hot pick up but you can turn it down and it becomes very articulate and focused.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

If you really want accurate responses, instead of us just throwing out our favorite pickups, then why not tell us what it is going in. Bridge, body wood, neck wood, fretboard wood, and construction all affect your tone. Therefore, they should all affect you pickup choice as well. I love the Duncan JB, but it doesn't sound right in every guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            If you really want accurate responses, instead of us just throwing out our favorite pickups, then why not tell us what it is going in. Bridge, body wood, neck wood, fretboard wood, and construction all affect your tone. Therefore, they should all affect you pickup choice as well. I love the Duncan JB, but it doesn't sound right in every guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESP MII,alder body with a rosewood board,OFR,through a mesa MK-IV stack i also use a 2203 RI. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            I like a raw,organic,non fizzy tone that has ROAR out the arse.
            the DD is damn good but am into trying something else and the H4 looked enticing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

OK, an MII is bolt-on, right? Bolt-on guitars tend to have more attack than a set or neck-thru, so you want something that isn't over emphasizing the high end, like a Duncan Distortion. The alder body will give a bit of a low-midrange spank, but not overly so. You don't need a pickup that scoops out all the midrange, but you don't want anything that boosts it, either, or you'll think you're playing a Les Paul. I love alder for it's tight low-end, and the rosewood board and maple neck will keep the attack warm and fat, balancing out some of the excess bite that a OFR will give you.

I've got a import RR that is the same consturction, but with a TOM bridge instead. Originally it came with an EMG 81, but those pickups just sound steril to me. The DD was too fizzy, and the JB just didn't give me the low end girth I was looking for. I finally settled on a Duncan Invader, and it will give you that roar you are looking for. The lows sound absolutely massive, they punch you in the gut. Whenever I go to play a lead, the wound strings sound huge and fat, and the plain strings just scream. The only drawback is the cleans are harsh and overdrive too easily, but it doesn't sound like you're looking for subtlety out of your pickup.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                EMG H4's?
                how do these compare to the duncan distortion tonally?

[/ QUOTE ]
                very different beast's.
                the DD has a certain raw edge with a real good ohmph
                the H4 is more trebly and scooped sounding it does not have the midrange body of the DD.
                i prefer the DD but guys like alexi lahio(COB) love the H4 [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                they are both real good but cant be compared
                If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ESP MII,alder body with a rosewood board,OFR,through a mesa MK-IV stack i also use a 2203 RI. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  I like a raw,organic,non fizzy tone that has ROAR out the arse.
                  the DD is damn good but am into trying something else and the H4 looked enticing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  you may really like the invader or tone zone by dimarzio [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                  If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                  X