Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup problem - now I'm getting really mad!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup problem - now I'm getting really mad!!!

I got a set of Mighty Mite Motherbuckers to put in one of my guitars. I'm trying to wire them up, but I'm getting wicked hum.

The diagram shown on the Mighty Mite website indicates that the red and white leads are wired together, the black is wired to the ground lead, and the blue is used as the hot. Makes perfect sense right? Well, both of them are giving out a ludicrous amount of noise. I hooked up a Dimebucker, and a Duncan Custom in their place, and no problem. The only thing I can think of is that they are both fukked.

Any suggestions?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Pickup problem - now I\'m getting really mad!!!

-- or the wires aren't indicated right. Try wiring each coil separately, and testing it with a tuning fork (make the tuning fork vibrate, and hold it above the particular coil)

When you're experimenting with wirings like this, it's a good idea to have loose leads soldered to your control pots, switches etc. so that you can simply twist all the wires together instead of soldering/unsoldering them each time.
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I have even tried each coil individually, and they all hum just as bad. I think they're toast. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds like you need more ground wires. What are you currently grounding the pickups to?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, shouldnt there be a bare ground wire in there somewhere?

Comment

Newc, does it matter where you ground the pickups to? because I've been getting some hum and noise after I changed my pickups...

Comment

ok, now try pairs of coils. You got 4 coils on each one of those insane pickups right? take the leads for 2 adjascent ones, and try to connect them in series out of phase.....
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

They only have 2 coils. They are just regular humbuckers, not the old type of Motherbuckers. I have tried every possible combination, and all I get is outrageous hum.

Nonamemx - Yes there is a ground lead. This is supposed to be grounded to one of the pots, along with the black lead, the same way you ground the green wire with Seymour Duncans.

Comment

Did you try both of the wiring diagrams that Mighty Mite has? Below is a link to them.
                  I have been messing with pickups for years and 99% of the time a loud hum is caused by either improper pickup wiring, a bad ground, a non-exisitant ground, or a ground loop (multiple ground points instead of one centralized ground point).
                  Since you mentioned that when you put other pickups in the guitar there is no hum I would guess you aren't installing the pickup wiring correctly. For some odd reason, different Mighty Mite humbuckers have different wiring color codes. Try all the ones that are listed. If that doesn't work, check the impedance of the pickups and see if it matches what Mighty Mite lists. If it does, most likely your pickups are fine.

Mighty Mite color codes

Comment

I'd check the impedance first, no sense in wiring a pickup, if you found out it doesn't work befor eyou have to wire it :P

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I'd check the impedance first, no sense in wiring a pickup, if you found out it doesn't work befor eyou have to wire it :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I always have a ground from the jack to the volume pot, then from the switch to the same pot (if the switch has a ground lug), then the pickup's bare and ground to the same pot, then a wire from the spring claw (if it has a trem) to the same pot, then one from that pot to the other pot (if it has more than one).

I never understood Jackson's wiring scheme of screws and ground wires under each pickup, but leave one off and see how much noise you get [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You may also have to ground the red/white wires if you're not using them to split the pickups - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Can't explain it.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc,

Does your ground wiring lead to less noise?
                          I'm wiring my grounds differently and I'm getting some noise...

Comment

Working...
                          X