Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Qs for 2 hum,1Vol,3way,0Ton?

Hi guys,

I finally recieved my DiMarzio superD for the bridge. I'm going to put it in with that old school super2.
    I opened the guitar up and realized that I practically have no idea to do, or what I want to do. So how would you guys wire this? If there's a diagram that'd be awesome!

I bought a pushpull pot which I can use for the vol pot.
    Some wiring options I was thinking about that may or may not be possible:

have the push pull control which pickup, and the 3 way switch control coil tapping. E.g, left- humbucking, mid- inner coiltap, right- outer coiltap

Or just a more standard:
    3way for pup selection, and pushpull for coiltapping.

The fact that I have no tone control kinda throws me off on wiring, since I haven't found diagrams with no tone pot.

Thanks!

Re: Wiring Qs for 2 hum,1Vol,3way,0Ton?

I don't know how to wire the switch to get what you want, so here's some advice on the more "standard" wiring. You've got two humbuckers and one volume push/pull. Wire the hot from each pickup to the 3 way switch. From the switch go into the volume pot's farthest left lug when looking down at it. Ground all the pickups to the volume pot. From the volume pot's middle lug go to the hot of the output jack. Ground the volume pot's last lug and run that to the ground of the output jack. Now, to finish the push/pull pot for coil tapping: wire the "coil tap" wires from each pickup to both of the upper lugs to the push/pull pot. Then run a jumper wire through the lower of the upper lugs and ground it. With this configuration you'll have some very reasonable tone options. With the volume pot down, you'll have normal humbucking operation. Pull it up and the coils will be split.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Re: Wiring Qs for 2 hum,1Vol,3way,0Ton?

Thanks charvel750! I really do appreciate it! I just wish that I had seen this before I finished my wiring though...

however, I didn't run the pup grounds into the volume pot, but instead onto the cavity wall, and the jack's gound I ran into the cavity wall as well. There prbly are other difference in grounding that I don't recall...

My question is, if I don't wire the groundings exactly as you described, would I get noise problems? I'm getting some noise and hum...

Everything is woring though, despite the noise and hum (on humbucking), but my NS-2 is handling it well.

I am a bit disappointed with the tone... The superD sounds good in the bridge, but it doesn't sounds as "modern" as I'd like. The super2 is too shrill in the neck imo. The coil tap sounds GREAT though. All in all, I feel like this sound is too vintage for me.

I will give it some time, and more adjustments to give a final verdict though. I might end up putting back my duncandesigned detonator in the neck... that one sounds great for leads imo...

Comment

Working...
      X