Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2N users, how far from the strings should i set

this pup?
    it is very HOT in output [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] and i was wondering how to set it to make it sound its best?
    it seems to have a very strong magnet pull?
    is it designed to set far away from the strings?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Re: X2N users, how far from the strings should i set

.25" is a good distance. The X2N has to be positioned farther away from the strings than a normal pickup.

Comment

Re: X2N users, how far from the strings should i s

[ QUOTE ]
      .25" is a good distance. The X2N has to be positioned farther away from the strings than a normal pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]
      jg, thanks bro [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      I kind of thought so since it has such a direct,strong magnet focus along with a hotter than hell output
      [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I use a JCM 800 and got this X2N to drive it into total submission without having to use a overdrive pedal [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Yeah, no need for an OD pedal with that pickup!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I used one for years in my old Kramer through a Marshall Valvestate 2x12 and had the gain on the amp cranked. If I turned the gain down about 4 notches, there still wouldn't be much gain lost because of the output of the pup! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Yeah, no need for an OD pedal with that pickup!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I used one for years in my old Kramer through a Marshall Valvestate 2x12 and had the gain on the amp cranked. If I turned the gain down about 4 notches, there still wouldn't be much gain lost because of the output of the pup! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it is a keeper! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          it reminds me a lot of the 81 but a bit more organic maybe.
          i use mine with a 250K volume pot and no tone pots.
          with the 500K it was a bit too trebly and cutting in my ESP
          but with the 250K it is perfect.
          I like the actual tone of it not just it's output.
          it is very tonally balanced and has no note drop off.
          i wound up setting it about twice the distance away from the strings as i normally did with other pups.
          i guess it is at about 1/4" away

Comment

When I had it in my old Kramer (which I got around '86 when I was 14), I had it for a couple years before I had the X2N put in. I never realized it was a plywood body until years later... but it sounded great in there! When I put it in my poplar Charvel Model 5A, it sounded very bright, which I guess was mostly due to not having a tone control and having a 500k volume control (though, messing with the amp's EQ definitely helped). I put it in my Warrior MG, which I believe was alder (with a Super 2 in the neck) and it sounded awesome! I also think it sounds close to an 81, just a little more "organic" like you say, and more output!!

Comment

I have an X2N in my Charvel. It is kind of cool. I don't like the tone for heavy rhythm stuff, but sounds great for everything else.

Comment

I was thinking of loading one in my Charvel Charvette. I was just wondering though, can you get a tone similar to Chuck Schuldiner's tone with it loaded in a Soloist axe?

Comment

I put one in my friend's mahogony body explorer. The rhythm tone is pretty cool, but the lead tone is where it really shines. He's got 81's in all his other guitars, but the X2N really stands out. Oh yah, he's also got em very close to the strings too. He's got a crapload of EQ's to kill some of the fuzz, but it's also wired to 250K pots I think also, so the fuzz isn't as bad. Tone is still killer

Comment

You didnt just sell that set on ebay did you toejam? I picked up an x2n and super2 last week [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good to hear the kudos, I cant wait to try them out

Comment

Nope, didn't sell 'em. They're both sitting around in my parts box waiting to eventually go in something else. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The Super 2 is an awesome neck pup with either an X2N or Super Distortion in the bridge. I've got a double creme Super D/Super 2 in my Carvin now, too. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X