String Height Action Question For Jackson Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Height Action Question For Jackson Guitars

Hi people just wanted to ask if any one could tell me some measurements for adjusting the string height to a certain level for the floyd rose. I currently am using a Jackson DXMG. Do you have any measurements in mm?

THanks!

Re: String Height Action Question For Jackson Guit

I go as low as 3/64" high E to 4/64" low E. I don't know what they are exactly in mm, but I can't slide my 1.35mm pick under there without creating friction.

Comment

Set it to whatever's comfortable for you. Measurements sound like there's a patented sure-fire technical "Holy" setting, but they're not etched in stone.
      I set the trussrod straight as an arrow, then lower the bridge so that a full-step bend at the 15th fret on the 1st string grinds out instantly, then raise the bridge until that bend barely or very very slowly grinds out. Then I check full-step bends around the neighboring frets to make sure they don't buzz out too fast.
      For the bass side, I check around the 15th to 19th frets to see if there are any dead spots, low or high places (like when two neighboring frets produce the same note on the same string), and "too much" buzz.
      I leave some buzz in it, but not enough to cause the notes to "chorus out" when I bend them, or otherwise die too early.

Most of the time, fretbuzz is not audible through the amp, only acoustically, which on an electric really doesn't matter as long as it's not coming through the amp too much or making it impossible to intonate.

If you want to set a guitar up for total shredding with absolutely no bending allowed, drop the bridge until you notice that two neighboring frets give the same note, then raise it until the notes are properly separated. This yields the most-playable action you've ever seen, even if there is some slight buzzing.
      However, if you're just shredding away with no concern for sustain or bluesy bends, the strings can be fretted effortlessly. Sweep picking with a light touch and a heavy pick is the best combo with that action.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Actually I use the measurements as a guideline too. I start off with 4/64" on both sides, play with it, and go from there.

Comment

less than 1.35mm?! holy crap that's insanely low... At what fret is your measurements at Ace?

I used to try to get as low as possible without too much fretbuzz and none when bending, but now I find that raising it a bit above that yields better tone, accuracy, playability, and I get quite a bit cleaner too.

Comment

My action is VERY high, maybe 5mm at 12th fret. I do a lot of shredding and insane bending but I like the tone when the action is high.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I can't grab the strings to bend them if they are that low. I tend to set the heavier strings (E,A,D) as low as I can get them with No buzzing and the other 3 strings a little higher so I can grab them. I used to play with my action insanely low all the way across but I was having trouble really grabbing my notes to bend them. this way I can sweep easily and get bluesy, but it takes a while to get it all dialed in.Plus if I raise the action a little the notes rings out more clearly. I couldn't play a guitar if it was buzzing (whether it came thru the amp or not) it would get on my nerves. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I use 1.38mm pick and it just barely fits between the high E string and my 24th fret and will be held in place there. On the low E it can just slide between the string and the 24th fret without being held in place, so the action is slightly higher on the bass side.

Comment

At 5mm you're bending your string right out of intonation when you fret it. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    At 5mm you're bending your string right out of intonation when you fret it. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    No problem at all.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I play 1.14mm high E and 1.2mm Low E. Measured with the strings capoed @ the first fret, neck straight as an arrow, between bottom of string and top of the 12th fret.

Comment

Hi guys sorry for the late reply damn my PC got screwed so needed time for fixing the thing. BY THE WAY THANKS FOR THE MEASUREMENTS!! But does the measurements vary for each guitar neck as i have a Jackson with 24 frets. Also for a 24 fret neck which fret is to be used for measuring the strings and the neck?

Thanks!

Comment

I am curious too, the Charvel Jackson Manual says measure at 17th fret for sting height and the Newer Jackson one from 2002 says 12th fret. I am confused.

Comment

My post-2002 manual says 1.5mm at 12th fret for treble and bass sides. My guitars are probably lower than that.
                            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I wonder why they change what fret to measure for each manual. I was trying to find a early 90's and 1998 owners guide.What year was yours that you mentioned? also what was the neck relief some said 0.20, and 0.4.

Comment

Working...
                              X