Swamp ash body - Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swamp ash body - Questions!

Could anyone please comment on the qualoities (sound and tone wise) of a swamp ash body? What kind of neck/fingerboard wood would you choose to pair it with a swamp ash body? What kind of pickups would youb choose? Thanks.

Re: Swamp ash body - Questions!

nice, fairly lightweight wood. Very punchy/'poppy' sounding. my 7-string with a swamp ash body, maple neck, ebony board and emg707s is the best sounding guitar I have.

Comment

One of the classic and most popular tonewoods.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/option..._bodywoods.cfm

Scroll down to "Ash" and read about swamp ash. I'd say the description is pretty dead-on... balanced but it has balls. My brother's Warmoth bass has a swamp ash body... it's lightweight, it's beautiful, and it sounds excellent in all frequency registers.

Comment

Thankis guys for the responses. What type of neck/fingerboard wood would you pair with a swamp ash body? What about choice of pickups for this kind of wood? I want to put together a guitar using Warmoth parts and have already decided that I'll use a non-locking trem, sperzel locking tuners and an lsr nut. What do you think?

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Again, I feel like a tool for pimping my brother's bass. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] He's got a pao ferro fretboard on there. Link:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#356467

I made a mistake in that thread. It's a koa cap on a swamp ash body. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It's not a full koa body like I might have come across as saying. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's my Carvin swamp ash SC90 with maple neck-thru and maple board. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The original Carvin C22 pups I thought were nice sounding but a little too bright and lacking a little gain, so I recently put in a DiMarzio Super Distortion and Super 2. Swamp ash is very light and a little on the bright side tonally, sounds really great.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow...that's a creepy pic Joe!
                From out of my garage with the Blazer I totaled!

(Note...cheapo Ampeg V150 1/2 stack was NOT mine!!...LOL!)

As far as Swamp Ash...that's one of my favorite woods to build with. It's tonally amazing, and lightweight. I usually pair my bodies with Maple necks with Ebony fretboards. The guitars I build are particularly punchy, with a lot of top end, but lots of lower end body resonance.

Comment

I've got two customs with swamp ash bodies. It's definitely my favorite body wood. The descriptions above are accurate. Punchy, good upper mids, with balls.

One is a bolt-on with a quilted maple cap. This one has a flamed maple neck & FB, Dimarzio PUs.

The other is a neck-through, with birdseye maple neck and pao ferro FB, Dimarzio PUs.

It'll sound killer with whatever FB and PUs you want, so no worries there. Go with whatever you prefer. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

swamp ash is awesome, i prefer to use lower output or less gainy pickups in lighter bodies. otherwise they seem to get a little muddy.

Comment

I have a `96 USA DR2 with an ash body, maple neck and ebony fretboard. The stock bridge pickup was a Screamin' Demon, and I simply could not get a good tone out of the thing for playing metal. I replaced it with a Full Shred, and now it's a death/thrash riffing machine. I record most of my rhythm tracks with it. Yes, it is a bit bright, but not to the point of being harsh.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm surprised I missed this thread. My Warmoth has a swamp ash body and carved maple top, with a rosewood/ebony neck, and it sounds fantastic. Here's a shot showing the back, so you can see the swamp ash in a trans finish:

Every note is punchy and CLEAR - much moreso than on any of my other guitars (SL2H w/alder body, SL AT Pro w/mahogany body & carved maple top, Steinberger w/maple body, Jem w/alder body). If given the choice (e.g., Warmoth, Custom Shop order, etc.), I'd pick Swamp Ash over any other body wood.

Comment

Working...
                        X