String guages that accomodate standard Jackson nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String guages that accomodate standard Jackson nut

A melodic death band asked me to play for them until I leave Vietnam, so I need to tune down from E to C. I've got an SL2HT which came with stock 0.009" strings, so I've been using these guages since then. The question is: "If I want to get thicker strings, like 11th or 12th sets, will it ruin my nut?" I think 10" will be ok. The reason I want thicker strings is because I don't want my left hand to become weak and get used to this pussy tuning [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Thanks for any advise!

gauges

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Re: gauges

I use EB mediums for B which is a .013 set. I would try a .012 set for C and I don't think it'll ruin your nut.

Comment

I´ve used 14-70 before on my Jacksons without modification (tuned to B), I doubt that it will cause problems [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys! Racer X - f~ you, too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the nut as much as I would a reverse bow in the neck from the change in tuning even with the heavier strings.Intonation will have to also be reajusted for the difference guage strings.

Comment

I really don't get why bands tune down so much. The heaviness doesn't come from low pitch. Eb sounds best, IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X