MOP and MOTO sharkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOP and MOTO sharkies

Just curious, do they really look much different? On Jackson's site it says that the DK2 has MOTO inlays, but my DK2 neck's sharkies look very MOP to me..... i always thought the MOTO inlays were just plain white plastic.

can someone post pictures where the difference is obvious?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: MOP and MOTO sharkies

IMO the MOTO fins look more neat and consistent, they also seem to have a little less color. The real MOP stuff doesn't look quite as perfect. It's like a real diamond compared to a synthetic diamond. The synthetic ones don't look as cool because they're nearly perfect.

Comment

I know that two/three MOP fins on my guitars have a natural "imperfection" (the closest analogy that I can think of is a tree knot) that, combined with the fact that MOP has a metallic shimmer, makes it look like a piece of metal that you dented with a ballpoint pen. You rub your finger over "the dent" expecting to feel a bump, but it's perfectly flat/smooth. Prolly no one else would ever notice it, but being the owner and the player, you do.

Eh, I should be fukkin hosting Queer Eye. Whatever.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

> Eh, I should be fukkin hosting Queer Eye. Whatever.

hehe ... and i should be fukkin a cute black girl [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (i have a thing for black girls)
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

Just like with woodgrain figuring, MOP can be really inconsistent. Comparing my Soloist Pro and Dinky Pro (both early `90s), the Soloist inlays are very colorful and almost reflective. The inlays on the Dinky are somewhat dull. Both are real MOP. I used to own a KV2 with extremely figured MOP inlays, although it did have a "knot" on one of them.

The only Jackson I ever bought that had MOTO sharkfins was a DR7, and I really disliked the material. I'd rather get a guitar with plastic dot inlays than fins or other elaborate inlays, because it's relatively cheap to replace dots with MOP blocks or something else. Better yet is no inlays at all in my opinion.
          sigpic

Comment

My model 6 has what looks like a fingerprint on the first fret inlay. Maybe a thumb-print from the person who set it in there??
            BTW - I've been wanting to ask but didn't want to seem like an idiot, what does MOTO stand for?
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              what does MOTO stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't it "Mother Of TOilet seat" ? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At least someone here said so a while ago [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yup. In the old days some toilet seats were covered in that same material. I still see them around from time to time in antique stores.

I would go with real pearl as I have seen 30+ year old guitars with the celluloid material shrinking and curling. With real pearl it will never change.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I would go with real pearl as I have seen 30+ year old guitars with the celluloid material shrinking and curling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, really???
                  I learn something everyday. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

oh noes!!!11 i have only 29 years left to find a new neck for my rhoads!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

MOTO is an acceptable imitation of MOP as it keeps more manufacturing costs going into the actual wood than the frilly trim that has no bearing on the tone or longevity of the guitar.
                        Those genuine MOP/Abalone inlaid imports from other brands are made of a lesser-grade wood and yet cost more to manufacture than a DKMGFF, and will fall apart faster, leaving you with a pretty pile of inlay and some painted toothpicks.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Pearloid is definitely nicer than plain white or black plastic. Also, if they were good enough for old LP standards, I guess they should be good enough for anything else.

Comment

Pearl"oid" is MOTO, right?

Comment

Yes
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X