Dings and scratches at the back of the neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dings and scratches at the back of the neck

I have a neck that's almost new, but has a few scratches at the back. Should i try to buff them out? If so, what should i use?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: Dings and scratches at the back of the neck

solid color or matte laquered
    if matte(almost like oiled) you can slightly try to scrap with a razorblade until they dissapear
    and steelwool(finest grade 0000) it to get consistent again
    maybe steelwool will do it all so you won´t need to scrap at all
    if it´s solid colored you barely have a chance, other than try to buff them out; no big hopes though

Comment

If it is painted the only thing you can really do is wetsand it LIGHTLY then buff it back to shine. That is if the scratches dont go deeper than just the clear.

Comment

it's a bolt-on (dk2) neck, with the maple wood color at the back. i have no idea how it's finished/oiled/varnished tho......
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I believe the DK2 necks only come clear coated, maybe someone that is more qualified can confirm that.......

Comment

I have a few DK2's and all of mine are matte laquered. I have no experience removing scratches from this type of finish though. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

on a matte laquered dk2 neck you should be right with the wentsand and steelwool tactic
              maybe you have to steelwool the whole neck to get it really consistent again
              keep in mind allways to go with the grain!
              and for my taste, you get a better feel to a neck, by steelwooling it, anyway
              i steelwool all my mattelaquered and oiled necks regularely
              so i´d say just try or leave it alone
              it won´t be the last dent that guitar gets...
              one more thing:
              take the neck off when you steelwool
              if you don´t, there will be millions of small steel(wool) particles caught by the pups (magnetism...)
              good luck

Comment

Working...
              X