3rd string always breaking at the nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd string always breaking at the nut

Ok, that's about 3 or 4 'G' (3rd) strings that break right at the nut on this guitar. It's an OFR locking nut. How should i fix the problem?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: 3rd string always breaking at the nut

Some techs might say that you overtightened the string at the nut. Well, I'm not much of a help here.

Comment

no, it usually breaks when pulling the whammy bar upwards, one of them broke when tuning up from D to standard tuning (with the nut open of course).... now i have several sets of perfectly good strings with the 3rd string missing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

um..... anyone else.. ?

Comment

usually strings break at the locking nut because there is some sort of groove or burr in the nut where the string passes over. remove the pads that lock the strings down and examine the G-string area-does it have any rough edges? look at the locking pad too-is there a sharp edge that could be wearing the string down?

Comment

You've got a burr buddy. Take a piece of 400 grit sandpapaer, fold it over something thin and hard(I use a nut file) and pass it through there three or four times lightly.

Comment

Working...
            X