Electric shock..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric shock..

Yo guys a while ago i changed the volumepot of my jackson sl-3 everything went ok and stuff.. but today i started playing my axe again i touched the volume pot and guitar strings at the same time and i felt an electric shock.. What can i do about this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Shakeel

Re: Electric shock..

The first place to start is to check the ground on the volume pot. My guess is that the ground connection has either detached or possibly has had corrosion form that has caused resistance. When you are touching the pot and the strings at the same time, you are providing a path to ground (through the strings). Did you notice if there was an increase in background amp noise? That is another indication of ground problems.

Comment

He Overlord thank you for your fast reply [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      The background noise of de amp only gets noisier when i'm touching the volume pot knob, i'm going to check if the ground wire is ok.

Comment

Run one from the pot to the spring claw, and then from the pot to the output jack.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Leave it alone. Electric shocks are fun!!

Comment

if there are visible sparks, leave it alone and use it as a stage trick!

Comment

Alright guys i checked the wiring and everything was ok.. One from the spring claw is to the pot and one from the pot is to the output jack, however i'm still having the problem [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Whem im touching the volume knob there's a lot of noise.. What to do know?

Here are some pics in case i overlooked something:

Comment

Ground the black wires on the left terminal of the pot, to the back of the pot. That is one thing that I see on a quick look. Usually on most guitars, you'll see that terminal bent over and soldered to the pot and the wires attached to that.

Also, usually there is generally a solid ground wire from the bridge or spring tree that will basically connect the the strings/bridge to both pots as well, grounding the whole system

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Ground the black wires on the left terminal of the pot, to the back of the pot. That is one thing that I see on a quick look. Usually on most guitars, you'll see that terminal bent over and soldered to the pot and the wires attached to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

He cleve thanks for your reply, but there are a few things i don't understand ( my english is not so good [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Do you mean i have to solder the black wires to the most left terminal where the 2 white wires are wired now? or does the terminal has to be soldered against the pot as well?

thanks again

Comment

No, leave it all as is. You have to just ground the black wires to the pot.

Comment

I agree... you just need to ground the black to the newly installed pot and that should take care of it.

Comment

> He didn't come to judge the world, but to save it. He is the truth & hope defined.

DUDE HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW ABOUT ME [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Yeah! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It works perfect now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At first i soldered the black wires against the pot, but doing that i wasn't able to completely turn the volume down when i was playing.. after that i bent the terminal over against the pot and soldered the whole thing again and voila everything is fine now.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Glad to help bro.

Yep, has to have the terminal and wires grounded, sorry if I may not have been clear on that part, I was rushed that day with other stuff here and didn't quite explain myself exactly. But, you nailed it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X