Neck EMG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck EMG's

I've seen lots of discussion about bridge humbuckes, but I'm looking at putting an EMG single in the neck of my RR24. Anyone have any experience with either the S or SA?

Re: Neck EMG\'s

I think most people tend to opt for the SA. The SA is Alnico
    EMG SA web
    The S is Ceramic
    EMG S web

I assume your RR has a humbucker in the neck...if you want to keep the look of a humbucker, you could opt for the EMG89 which is either an 85 sound or a SA sound depending on the switch position. Or you can mount a single coil where the hum was. On guitars w/humbuckers originally, I mount the single to the existing humbucker mounting ring and I fill in the open gap by cutting the foam that comes with EMG pickups. See this pic of how it looks: Jackson V w/single

I prefer SA in the neck over the S.

Comment

Go with the 89 one of if not the best pickup EMG makes.

Comment

The RR has an 89 in the bridge, and only space for a single at the neck because I put a 24-fret neck on it. I -think- a single coil will still fit, but it will be very close. I don't really have one to measure so I'm not sure yet. It looks like I'm either getting an SA, or just leaving the guitar as it is with just the 89 bridge and nothing in the neck.

Comment

You won't notice too drastic a difference with either the S or SA. By the way, if you want an EMG single coil in a humbucking size route, use the EMG H which is a full size looking humbucker but has an S inside.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Half of the neck pickup route is now taken up by the 23 and 24 fret on this guitar, that's why I was asking about single coils.

Comment

Working...
            X