1st fret buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st fret buzz

last couple of weeks I encountered a really strange problem. within a couple of weeks I have fretbuzz on the first and second string (E and B) when played open and it buzzes on the first fret. this developed within 2 or 3 weeks and it gets worse. I really don't get it. The guitar worked fine for about a year, the nut has been replaced by a schaller instead of the normal nut and locknut on the model 6 (kahler style). When I play it fretted all problems have vanished, but since I play pretty varied music where I use onfretted notes as well it really annoys me, it used to be my main axe and since I have a gig next saturday, it really stinks

has anyone encountered this as well? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Harrald

Re: 1st fret buzz

I already found out WHAT it is. the locknut has been worn out, because it is not properly angled I think... well, I think I have to bring it to a luther of some sort to get a new locknut and have it properly fitted

Harrald

Comment

If it works for the other 4 strings, it just means the nut is too low on the B&E side. You can fix by shiming the nut. Allparts has shims (p/n BP_0426-001 for $6.50 2 ea of three thicknessess) see pic (if you have no money, you can also cut pieces of business cards and use that instead).

You should cut with sissors so you have 1/3 of the shim, and put one or two as needed under the B/E section of the floyd nut. I've done this quite a few times with very good results. You are basically just 'propping' up the B/E side of the nut, which will fix your problem.

To figure out how thick the shim should be, look at the distance from the 1st fret to the E/A/D strings, then look how much closer your B/E are. Use a shim thickness that would get the B/E more like the others.

Comment

thanks for the advice, I bought them, have to do some install thingies, but that will work fine I guess

harrald

Comment

I've had that same problem on several of my "Lock nut" equipped guitars and shims solved the problem!
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
          X