Possible redundant question about pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible redundant question about pots

If you're reading this, you obviously didn't let out a big sigh and move on and I appreciate your interest. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] So, I'm wanting to swap out all the shitty electronics in my DK2, especially since the volume pot has all but crapped out completely. Reading previous threads on this very subject, the overwhelming consensus is to install 500K pots. I'd like to purchase everything required in a kit, however, in searching the web, every kit sold has the 250K pots. Will it really matter that much to just go with the 250K pots? I know, I know, why don't I just by everything separately, right? Well, this is just the practical side of me rearing its ugly head. I'll go that route if I'm forced to, but I was just wondering if anyone knew off-hand where I could get the kit with CTS brand 500K pots. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Re: Possible redundant question about pots

Allparts has 500K CTS pots, different styles..first one on the page is only $5. I'd say get that kit and just buy the CTS 500k pot from allparts.
    Allparts 500k pot page

Comment

I would never use 250k pots on a guitar with hums. It's 500k or nothing at all for me.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I would never use 250k pots on a guitar with hums. It's 500k or nothing at all for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering, but why is that? I've read that the 500K pots give you smoother/tighter volume control.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering, but why is that? I've read that the 500K pots give you smoother/tighter volume control.

[/ QUOTE ]

250K will rub out lots of high end, leaving you with a choked, muddy sound. Like the tone knob jammed in the middle. It will also limit a bit of gain. You can even get 1 meg pots (1000K) which let lots of high end and gain flow freely. Ive never tried a 1 meg pot, always thought it would allow too much high end.

500k is almost a must for Humbuckers, unless you dig
          Jazz [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but it may not even work there either.

Strats and Teles, and most guitars with only single coils use 250k pots, because single coils are naturally bright, and that helps warm them up a little bit.

Comment

Well, I have a SD Distortion in the bridge and I like the sound so I don't wanna take any of the highs out. Additionally, since the SDD is a somewhat bright pup already, I wouldn't want to add highs either. So it sounds like 500K pots fit the bill. Thanx for the info gentlemen!

Comment

While you're changing them, why don't you use push-pulls, you can,t go wrong with having the ability to do some wacko wiring later on if you want (: (:

oh - btw does anyone know where to find dual/blend-pot push-pulls?
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Anyobe tried 1 Meg pots for hUmbuckers? How do they sound?

Comment

Working...
                X