OFR on a RR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR on a RR3

The Jackson bridge that came with my RR3 is starting to annoy me. It's the second time that the bridge has started to f**k up and go out of tune. I have a Original Floyd Rose spare and want to fit it to my RR3. How easy it is to fit? will i need new posts? i know that the recess will have to be filled a bit with foam. But is there anything else i would need to do?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: OFR on a RR3

bump
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I might be bieng completely retarded here but, why would you have to fill the recess w/foam?? You can probably use the posts that are in it but, I would use the OFR posts if I were you just in case the ones that are in there now are worn.

Comment

it should drop right in there on the existing posts. If it doesn't sit right then you'd need to swapp them out. Also if its a newwe OFR the allen screws used to hold the block in the saddle *may* be too long and stick out past the recessed route.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've tried seeing if it would fit before, i noticed that as the bridge on the RR3 is a low profile, the recess is deeper than if a normal floyd was used. So as i tried to fit it on, the bridge sat back too far and needed some foam or something in the recess to balance it out a bit. I know you're probably thinking, "if you've tried it before, why are you ask?" i'm asking because i wanted your opinions on the fitting.
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Do you mean by "it sat back a bit" that it was like you were pulling up on the trem arm.(raising pitch).

Comment

Yeah excatly that. It felt like that if i were to turn the tuning heads anymore, i'd break a string
              93 USA Soloist EDS
              USA HT6 Juggernaut
              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Sounds like you simply need to adjust the screws holding the claw in the trem cavity (in the back of the guitar) to get the new bridge into balance with your string tension.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Sounds like you simply need to adjust the screws holding the claw in the trem cavity (in the back of the guitar) to get the new bridge into balance with your string tension.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I know how to set up a floyd rose. No matter how much i pissed about with the screws, it still pulled back to much. Oh well i'll just put something in the recess to sort it out.
                    93 USA Soloist EDS
                    USA HT6 Juggernaut
                    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

remove a spring?

Comment

Guys, what Steve means is that he was able to pull up farther than he wanted. And a piece of foam in the recess solves that problem [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

You got it in one [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Any one else done this sort of thing before?
                          93 USA Soloist EDS
                          USA HT6 Juggernaut
                          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Quick solution for the screws reaching too far at the back of the trem: cut the tips off, and re-do them with some hard sandpaper or a grinder. That's what i did on my korean made ps-II to get an OFR on there. Those screws aren't expensive to replace anyway.

As for the cavity being too "deep" .... just don't pull the whammy bar like you're trying to rip it off the guitar.... !! But if you're gonna block the trem, why would you use foam??
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I'm going ahead with fitting the floyd rose. I gave it a try earlier and found a bit of a problem. The floyd rose hits the posts. I tried to see if i could fit the original floyd posts but their bigger than the Jackson posts. Any one know of a way to fit the originals? or should i just stick with the Jackson posts?
                              93 USA Soloist EDS
                              USA HT6 Juggernaut
                              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
                              X